NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old August 14th, 2017, 20:21
Sarge <3 Ben

Re: Bad Transmission?

Funny enough, the old school mechanic I learned from used to get his hands wet and run them down the wires....it works, but...?!
88 MJ on 40's. 98 XJ on 35's. 98 Dodge, 52psi of boost. 94 Miata LS4. 70 Buick GS455. 01 Harley, been to 46 states. 05 KTM, 576cc. 06 Husky, girls need bikes too. 2011 R6, girls need sport bikes too. 99 Toyota Avalon, daily. 97 Miata, girls apparently need miatas too.
And everything fits in the garage!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mako my day View Post
Johnx is #1
Old August 14th, 2017, 22:56
NAXJA Forum User

Bad Transmission?

I was trying to find a miss and I have the 2000 coil bar. That thing can send some juice. I had plugs in all 6 and had a wire wrapped around all the grounds of the plugs. I was watching for spark when I didn't notice my hand was a little too close to where that ground wire was. I got hit about 8 times before I got fat enough for it to not hit me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old August 15th, 2017, 00:09
NAXJA Forum User

so im totally new to the fourm thing not sure where to write or what but this has the right topic so i am hoping someone csn be of some help. first off i am having a transmission issue obviously. jeep is 96 4.0 aw4 4x4 sport transmission will be fine short bursts around town to the store but when you go say 10+ miles (it varries) the trans will loose lock up gaining about 200 rpms and a "slip" (not lockup) is present. if you continue to drive it will loose drive and if continued the trans has no gear while in drive acts as if it were in neautral. pull over at any point and put in park (some times needs to be shut off) the problem is gone again for the 10 or so miles. also if i would give it about 2/3 throttle after it lost lock up it would lock up and stay if i kept into it but once i let off it looses the lock up again, but if it lost the final gear it wouldnt go into it regardless of throttle position. i just drove 1500 miles with it lots of confusion to me. maybe someone knows more about the aw4. also fluid good as in just replaced before trip wasnt bad when changed also did flush but problem was present first. that was done to maybe help. jeep did sit for about 8-10 months prior to this. im most certain it is an electrical component but i want to be sure before i start changing parts. trans has never had any issues prior to this. ive owned the jeep for 5 years. has 175xxx purchased with 103xxx
my main thought id possibly solenoids or tcu. please help.
Old August 15th, 2017, 04:50
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattthomas0129 View Post
so im totally new to the fourm thing not sure where to write or what but this has the right topic so i am hoping someone csn be of some help. first off i am having a transmission issue obviously. jeep is 96 4.0 aw4 4x4 sport transmission will be fine short bursts around town to the store but when you go say 10+ miles (it varries) the trans will loose lock up gaining about 200 rpms and a "slip" (not lockup) is present. if you continue to drive it will loose drive and if continued the trans has no gear while in drive acts as if it were in neautral. pull over at any point and put in park (some times needs to be shut off) the problem is gone again for the 10 or so miles. also if i would give it about 2/3 throttle after it lost lock up it would lock up and stay if i kept into it but once i let off it looses the lock up again, but if it lost the final gear it wouldnt go into it regardless of throttle position. i just drove 1500 miles with it lots of confusion to me. maybe someone knows more about the aw4. also fluid good as in just replaced before trip wasnt bad when changed also did flush but problem was present first. that was done to maybe help. jeep did sit for about 8-10 months prior to this. im most certain it is an electrical component but i want to be sure before i start changing parts. trans has never had any issues prior to this. ive owned the jeep for 5 years. has 175xxx purchased with 103xxx
my main thought id possibly solenoids or tcu. please help.
probably needs a new lockup solenoid, pretty common