• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep Xj 3in lift

alexgalexg

NAXJA Forum User
So spring is almost here. And I had plans for a 3inch lift on my 1998 Jeep Xj 4.0 4wd. But thanks to places like napa and my local machine shop, over the past year I have gone through 2 heads, 2 water pumps, 2 alternator, a belt tensioner, 3 belts, 5 thermostats, 2 resistor packs, a blower motor and tons of coolant. And this has left me where? Well I still have no a.c. because something is squeaking and I can't tell what it is and don't want to charge the a.c. if it's already bad. My alternator stops working every time it gets wet and I'm always worried something will happen to this, the third head in my jeep.

Needless to say I have been plagued with bad luck and it has eaten away at my funds and my time. So here's my question for those of you that have done it this way.

How much would it cost in total to purchase a good quality 3 inch lift (no rough country junk) with all necessary components and have a shop put it on? So in total. Cost of good 3inch lift + average shop install cost in total.

I hate shops but I have so many messes to clean up from what napa has done that I'm going to be way to burnt out to learn how to install this monster and what exactly I need.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

That's a really open question, but with a "Quality" lift I'd sat start around 2000$.

That's a really open question, but with a "Quality" lift I'd sat start around 2000$.

$5-700 for an average quality 3 inch lift kit. IDK what any shop charges for an install, I always do that myself.

Last edited:
$5-700 for an average quality 3 inch lift kit. IDK what any shop charges for an install, I always do that myself.
I'd like to do it myself. I have not done one before so it would be a valuable experience. Issue is I'm too burnt and don't habe all the tools. I don't even know what all I need for a 3 incher aside from the obvious shocks and springs. I have gotten so many different answers to what I need. So just looking for a good kit that won't force me to go looking around for stuff. Something that just has everything included

Shocks and springs are all you really need for 3”. The only non-typical too is a strut compressor to get the springs in and out which can most likely be borrowed from your local auto parts store. I can’t help you on price because I installed my own Rough Country :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For the price you are going to pay a shop to install your parts, you could buy all the tools you need, do the install, keep the tools, and probably save 75 %. Your google-fu seems to need work, a 3 inch lift is springs, shocks, longer lower control arms, a track bar, longer swaybar links, and longer brake lines.

Here's a good question since tims advice about pricing means a shop is off the table. Will the angle for the read drive shaft be fine at 3"? That can be dangerous if it decides high speeds are the time to bind up

Driveshaft angles you will definitely have to deal with! What are you planning on using?

I have not chosen a specific lift out but the one I keep coming back to is the 3" zone lift. Just I'd ditch the shoddy add a leaf things and just get new proper leaf springs

I didn't see that option for the 3. I will look again. I'm really hoping I don't have to drop the t case. I thought it was anything over 3.5 and you have to lower it but lately I've been reading even at 3 you need to. And then here on this post someone agreed

Yeah I heard something about the t case possibly being the make or break on that. Hmm I have two jeeps so ill have to refresh and check which t case it has

97+ XJs start needing an SYE and a new driveshaft at 3".
Transfercase drops are a cheap attempt to cure the excessive rear u-joint angle problem but it leads to it's own issues.
The front driveshaft's u-joint angle, at the XC, increases with an XC drop.
Lowering the cross member decreases your ground clearance.
If you are serous about using your Jeep offload, and having last a few years, start saving.
Building a durable Jeep isn't a cheap task, especially if you can't do it yourself.

Make some friends in the local Jeep community and maybe you will find someone willing to help install the lift.
Take the money you won't spend on labor and buy a floor jack, some jack stands and the beginning of a decent set of tools. It's how most of us got started.

I put the full 3" zone kit on mine and it was not terribly hard at all. I didn't need anything extra. Sway bar discos would be a good idea if you do more wheeling then just trails. You shouldn't have a problem with your t-case.
Good luck

Thanks guys. Sadly I don't live in an area with any jeep peeps. Been living here for 3 years and haven't met even one so I am on my own for this. But I appreciate all the help I have gotten here

Well that being said does anyone know of an all inclusive lift? One that comes with everything you will need for a 3" lift shafts and all? I'm stuck tackling this alone and it would be nice to not have to go showering the internet for parts on my first lift

My son and I just finished a lift on his 01'. We did the Zone 3" with leafs and it came with everything we needed for the lift itself. I would advise you to be prepared with hardware (Bolts, Bolts and more Bolts). You may be the lucky one but we were not, we busted almost every one. We are in Upstate NY so rust is a given. I bought a full set of hardware from a member on Cherokeeforum.com and it was a lifesaver. Like I said the kit came with everything you will need for the lift but I had to replace rear leaf shackles because the stock ones were no longer safe.
Good Luck and Spray with PBBlaster and repeat.

Back