• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Re-Upholstering Visors and Overhead Console lots o pics

racer32

NAXJA Forum User
Well I found an early model overhead console at the local u-pull yard for $7 so I brought it home. I also brought home the visors because they had the lit vanity mirrors and were an upgrade from my plain ones. Here's a pictorial overview or how-to of sorts for re-upholstering your visors and your early overhead console...

Old and busted looking visor from a 94 XJ
sm-00007.jpg

The factory fabric with the foam backing was nasty
sm-00009.jpg

Wire brush the crap off
sm-00011.jpg

Here's where you need to make sure you dont break your visors. I actually broke the shit out of my 98 visors trying to get them apart. The earlier model visors are of much better plastic that is more forgiving
sm-00013.jpg

sm-00014.jpg

Make sure you pry from this side
sm-00021.jpg

And not this side
sm-00023.jpg

Stripped visor
sm-00024.jpg

sm-00025.jpg

The visor hinges on my stock ones were black but were not hollow for the vanity lights so I had to paint the grey ones I got
sm-00026.jpg

Make sure you cut plenty of extra material
sm-00027.jpg

I got 3M Hi Strength spray adhesive but i'm sure the regular would work
sm-00032.jpg

Follow the instructions on the can
sm-00030.jpg

Hurry up and wait
[FONT=&quot]
sm-00033.jpg
[/FONT]

Stick the two pieces together. I did one side at a time so the material would stick to the hinged edge of the visor better
sm-00035.jpg

sm-00036.jpg

Repeat
sm-00040.jpg

Trim the edge of the material so there is ½” to ¾” of material left
sm-00049.jpg

Make sure you use good scissors
sm-00052.jpg

Spray around the inside edge and wrap the material around it
sm-00054.jpg

sm-00057.jpg

If you have visors with vanity mirrors, cut that out and leave about ½” of material on the inside
sm-00059.jpg

Insert mirror
sm-00072.jpg

When you get ready to snap the visor back together, make sure you get the contact on the correct side of the mirror door stub
detail.jpg

Snap it back together
sm-00074.jpg

Re-insert your rest pin
sm-00079.jpg

Done!
sm-00083.jpg

Reinstall into your rig
[FONT=&quot]
sm-00089.jpg
[/FONT]

Last edited:
Sweet! I didnt know the visors have a clamshell design. I was wondering how i was going to recover mine.

Thanks for the writeup/pics.

nice. wouldnt it be cool if you installed a lcd instead of the mirror. then hook that up to a back up camera. great write up. ill use it when i do mine.

Thats exactly how I did mine in my 89. I used the newer plastic clamshell design visors like you used, I think they came out of a 94 model. I mounted my cb above my mirror so I couldnt use the 89 visors as they were to long. I used a differant pattern and have no lighted mirrors. Here is a pic with them down. They are hard to see when up they kinda blend in. The pic is kinda big sorry
cb2-19-2008005.jpg

Thanks for all the positive feedback guys... it was actually a fun mod to do...

I do need to add one more thing: Make sure you PULL THE REST PIN OUT BEFORE YOU OPEN UP THE VISORS. You'll break the inside of the visor if you dont... I forgot to add that and I can't seem to edit my posts at all...

magimerlin - your headliner looks very good. Nice job!

Thanks again everyone...

Nice job, I used the same material on my rear shelf. It was a cheap dollar store blanket. Cant believe anyone would use it as a blanket.

Subscribing so I can copy this tomorrow. Wasn't sure how to do the visors. Sorry for resurrecting an ancient thread :laugh3:

Note to self: sometimes this search thing actually works! :D

It's very important to hold your tongue right as you cut or everything will get screwed up. That can not be stressed enough.:patriot: Very cool,looks good. Wonder what ghillie suit camo would look like??

Last edited:
Racer32
How can I view these images? Says they are passworded.
tia

Last edited:
Back