• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cold start whooshing noise.

streetpirate

NAXJA Forum User
87 4.0 205k-ish

when the engine is cold until about 160 it makes a whooshing noise at the front
of the engine, simmilar to an old air compressor, and a whining that goes along with it. at 160 it goes away.
the only thing i can think of is the water pump?

Take a piece of steel tube or rod, long pry bar, long 3/8ths ratchet extension, or the like and touch it firmly to the bearing areas of the water pump and idler pulley. Certainly be careful while doing so, but put your ear close to the end of the rod - this will let you hear the bearings. For nearly a year, I had this goofy whistle / whine noise that got higher pitched as I revved a cold engine. Lasted until underhood temps got to normal operating range. Drove me completely nuts. Finally traced it to the idler pulley bearing going bad. I replaced the water pump before I discovered it was the idler - didn't think of the "shade tree stethoscope" until after the water pump.

If you have a harbor freight near you you might want to pick up one of these. They occasionally go on sale for $3

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=41966

It's really crappy quality, and a little bit shorter than desirable, but it's easier to maneuver (especially around moving parts - ouch) than a broom handle.

You can do a little better at an auto parts store, but it will be a couple bucks more.

I picked one up last weekend and found out my "sticky lifter" was actually the distributor.

Back