• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front bump stop issues...

Brendon001

NAXJA Forum User
Came across something strange last night while attempting to install my 1.75" Daystar spacers up front. The instructions tell you to simply "Remove rubber bump stops, then remove the bump stop cup". In the provided illustration, it shows the cup being removed with a socket and ratchet. Uh... I tried to remove the rubber bump stop, and it appears to be vulcanized to the cup. Not only that, the cup appears to be welded to the longer section of the standoff (the long portion that captures the spring).
Did earlier XJ's come this way, or have I stumbled on to yet another goofy mod done by the previous owner? Am I missing something?
I'm going to break out the grinder tonight if there's no good explanation. I'll just cut off what's there and redrill and tap for another bump stop.

It unscrews. Just grab the outside of the cup with a large pair of slip joint pliers.

I'll give it a shot. Like I said, it appears to be welded, but it's possible that the bead may just be some hardened 20 year old sealant or something.

I've got a 93' four door and mine were welded. When I installed my ACOS spacers, the directions instructed to cut off that cup even with the "washer" inside it at it's base and drill and tap the hole in it's center to allow the ACOS to be bolted in place. :)

I clamped on to the bump stop with a pair of channel locks and pulled my entire body weight off the ground. I weigh 235 lbs. Exactly how much force is required to remove the rubber stop?

Wow! Mine pulled right out! If your not going to reuse them, perhaps apply a little heat? Will stink bad and be messy though. Maybe try to squirt some spray lube around between the stop and cup. But not both, can you say FIRE! Good luck. It always seems that the little things that should be simple and fast turn into a disaster for me!

Something is wrong with your jeep dude :D I worked on an 87 before, and the bumpstops came right out. Weird. Just cut it off and call it a day.

xjj33p3r said:
Something is wrong with your jeep dude :D I worked on an 87 before, and the bumpstops came right out. Weird. Just cut it off and call it a day.

I agree, much better suggestion, why waste time getting the bump stop out when your just going to cut the cup off anyway. Just cut it all off at once!

xjj33p3r said:

I think they were still in prototype mode when they made my Jeep. Just tacked everything together... Wouldn't it have sucked had they actually decided to keep the Dana 30 up front? Oh... wait...

Some came welded on. On my 91' they are.

So after spending a half hour with a sawzall last night, I can tell you for a fact that mine were welded on. And bolted on. And the rubber stops WERE vulcanized to the cup. The fun part is going to be drilling out the remainder of the bolt that's still in the standoff. I'll try an ez-out first, but it didn't look like it was going to budge when trying to pursuade it with a hammer and chisel.

FWIW... there's no need to go to all that trouble for regular coil spacers on most later (read: Chryco+) XJ's. The bumpstops are a small DIA and the cups are welded to the tower. The spacers just slip right over everything. No need to even pull the stops out.

If the spacer gets caught on the bumpstop cup, just get some WD40 and a mallet.

Jeepin Jason said:
If the spacer gets caught on the bumpstop cup, just get some WD40 and a mallet.

I'm not sure how late model of an XJ you're talking about here, but on my '92 daily driver I tried that and it wasn't going to happen....I ended up cutting the little flange of the bumpstop cup with an angle grinder in order to get the spacer to slide over.

My bumpstop cups are also welded.

it may depend on how tight the casting is for the spacer. When I ran some 1.75" Tera spacers loooong ago, it was a bear to get them on. I later ran some 3/4" spacers with different springs and they went on much easier.

fatwreck said:
I'm not sure how late model of an XJ you're talking about here, but on my '92 daily driver I tried that and it wasn't going to happen....I ended up cutting the little flange of the bumpstop cup with an angle grinder in order to get the spacer to slide over.

My bumpstop cups are also welded.
one side of mine is welded(long story)but I also just ground of the flange-before-
DSCF0409.jpg

-after
DSCF0408.jpg

I needed to get the stops out of there to make way for extended stops anyhow, so cutting them off was no big deal. If I had the option to unbolt them, I would've gone that route.
So all that aside, last night was the first time my Jeep has been out of the garage under it's own power in over 6 months. I made the mistake of not even firing the engine for the last two months, but that smallblock started and ran without a hicup.

Back