• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Split seam in radiator

riverfever

NAXJA Forum User
My new CSF rad from Dirk sould be here today. My leak in the OEM rad is bad enough that I have to top of coolant each day. I don't think it woud be a good idea to wait until the weekend to do the repair. I will also do T-stat, pump. and hoses. after reading about flushing the system, I'm not sure it's a good idea to do a 7 hour Prestone flush with such a massive leak. Here's what I was gonna do:
1. drain the rad.
2. Disconnect the lower rad hose and fill system with tap water. Run for a few minutes with heat on to flush things.
3. Remove all hoses, rad, pump, t stat.
4. Put on new stuff.

I also will clean out the overflow tank. The job sounds pretty straight forward. I just don't have tons of time to flush like most of you have suggested while searching. I get home at 3 p.m. and can probably start at 5ish after it cools. It's gotta be done for my drive to work on Tuesday morning.

BruteXJ said:
It'll cost you a couple of bucks, but use distilled water instead of from the tap....no matter where you are, tap water contains nastiness that will kill your cooling system.
x2...

Back