• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axle Swap Input

hjeepxj

#OCDINK
NAXJA Member
I am going to be building a Dana 30/44 Combo as follows:

Front D30: HP from XJ, Artec truss/inner C gussets/UCA mount, HD LCA brackets, Stinky Fab track bar mount/swaybar mount/coil spring gussets. 4.88 gears, 30 spline ARB, 30 spline chromo shafts, WJ knuckles, akenobo calipers w/IRO discs, new ball joints.

Rear D44: XJ LP housing, IRO truss, TNT ubolt eliminator perches/shock tabs, 4.88's, 35 spline ARB, 35 spline chromos, Wilwood discs

All of this will be ran with a 5.5" lift and 35's. I have a couple of questions; should I cut and turn the inner c's on the front? Should I clock the TNT spring perches to improve pinion angle?

Jeep is not going to have lift in yet, axles are being built first so unfortunately I can't mock it up....

I am going to be building a Dana 30/44 Combo as follows:

Front D30: HP from XJ, Artec truss/inner C gussets/UCA mount, HD LCA brackets, Stinky Fab track bar mount/swaybar mount/coil spring gussets. 4.88 gears, 30 spline ARB, 30 spline chromo shafts, WJ knuckles, akenobo calipers w/IRO discs, new ball joints.

Rear D44: XJ LP housing, IRO truss, TNT ubolt eliminator perches/shock tabs, 4.88's, 35 spline ARB, 35 spline chromos, Wilwood discs

All of this will be ran with a 5.5" lift and 35's. I have a couple of questions; should I cut and turn the inner c's on the front? Should I clock the TNT spring perches to improve pinion angle?

Jeep is not going to have lift in yet, axles are being built first so unfortunately I can't mock it up....

4.88 make for a weak d30 r&p, 4.56 would be fine w/ 35's, 35 spline chromo in rear is way overkill, 30 spline chromos is plenty strong enuff, detriot locker rear & e-locker front would save some money, i would 3 link the front & do 1 ton otk steering , imo

Cart before horse....

Your pinion angles will be wrong.

Have you personally done something like this?

It sounds like you have no experience with this type of a scenario.

Correct me if I am wrong.

The reason I say this, how many people don't touch their pinion angles at 5.5"s lift? Most. Maybe a shim in the back. I am asking for people who have experience/real world advice in a situation like this.

4.88 make for a weak d30 r&p, 4.56 would be fine w/ 35's, 35 spline chromo in rear is way overkill, 30 spline chromos is plenty strong enuff, detriot locker rear & e-locker front would save some money, i would 3 link the front & do 1 ton otk steering , imo

I was worried about the 4.88's at first, hence one of the reasons for the truss..other than that everything is already purchased, I'm past decision making time. :cheers:

Have you personally done something like this?

It sounds like you have no experience with this type of a scenario.

Correct me if I am wrong.

The reason I say this, how many people don't touch their pinion angles at 5.5"s lift? Most. Maybe a shim in the back. I am asking for people who have experience/real world advice in a situation like this.

I was worried about the 4.88's at first, hence one of the reasons for the truss..other than that everything is already purchased, I'm past decision making time. :cheers:

You are wrong.

You are wrong.

Well then, can you expound?

Should I ignore turning the c's and just run it as is?

Can I install the TNT perches at the same location as stock since I'm only doing 5.5"?

Is your opinion to install the lift and then build the axles?

Thank you everyone for the input! Keep it coming!

:cheers:

I forgot, I am running 35's

:cheers: I appreciate your input - I know if you are "easy" on the go pedal hell the setup would be fine on 37's. :cheers:

488s are fine. Really everything needs to be setup after. There's too many variables to guess your pinion angle. I personally would not waste the time on the C's. Find a happy medium in the pinion and caster and run it. It's a lot of work for little gain IMO.

Running 35s and 3.5" of lift over stock. I have been running a year now at about 5.5* castor some light DD and highway. I wouldn't be afraid to run less castor. My HP30 pinion angle is probably 1* under the perfect pinion angle. Zero vibes from the front driveshaft and it is pretty damn ragged.

After 7 years on 488's I have never broke. I did break a locker once in the 30
and what kind of goodies do you have on axle?

i ask because out of all the ring and pinion failures i have seen, it is usually a stripped ring gear, and not some failure cause by the "notoriously weak pinion." i agree that the smaller contact patch may contribute, but i think the bigger issue is ring ring gear deflection. a full case locker, truss, and stout diff cover go a long way in keeping a D30 happy.

:cheers: I appreciate your input - I know if you are "easy" on the go pedal hell the setup would be fine on 37's. :cheers:
that is really pushing the D30. 37s are a big, and more importantly, heavy, tire. there is a lot of mass there to really put a hurting on a D30, in the manner described above.

488s are fine. Really everything needs to be setup after. There's too many variables to guess your pinion angle. I personally would not waste the time on the C's. Find a happy medium in the pinion and caster and run it. It's a lot of work for little gain IMO.
i would aregue there is a lot to gain by rotating the Cs on an axle that does not have locking hubs... especially if the plan is to drive it down the road at highway speeds. of course, what is acceptable varies from person to person.

but i do agree that at that lift height one should be able to find a decent medium.

In talking to people, thinking, over thinking, reading about, I think "not wasting time on the c's" is the best advice. :cheers:

Running 35s and 3.5" of lift over stock. I have been running a year now at about 5.5* castor some light DD and highway. I wouldn't be afraid to run less castor. My HP30 pinion angle is probably 1* under the perfect pinion angle. Zero vibes from the front driveshaft and it is pretty damn ragged.

Nice. Thanks for the input!

and what kind of goodies do you have on axle?

i ask because out of all the ring and pinion failures i have seen, it is usually a stripped ring gear, and not some failure cause by the "notoriously weak pinion." i agree that the smaller contact patch may contribute, but i think the bigger issue is ring ring gear deflection. a full case locker, truss, and stout diff cover go a long way in keeping a D30 happy.

that is really pushing the D30. 37s are a big, and more importantly, heavy, tire. there is a lot of mass there to really put a hurting on a D30, in the manner described above.

i would aregue there is a lot to gain by rotating the Cs on an axle that does not have locking hubs... especially if the plan is to drive it down the road at highway speeds. of course, what is acceptable varies from person to person.

but i do agree that at that lift height one should be able to find a decent medium.

I agree, if I was going to run 37's my own opinion is to at least run a D44, I just know I've seen it done.

Thanks for the input!

4.56, no thanks.

I've always loved the "weaker R&P" comments. If it was that big of an issue, no one would regear.

My '98 on 35's got put through harder trails and lines than 95% of people with an XJ would be willing to even think about. I went through at least half a dozen 297x front driver's shafts...R&P's were still going strong and looking great the day I sold those axles.

If you already had the C's off, or it was an easier thing to do, it would be worth it.

If building a D44, worth it.

In your case, with not running a sky high lift, I wouldn't worry much.

4.56, no thanks.

I've always loved the "weaker R&P" comments. If it was that big of an issue, no one would regear.

My '98 on 35's got put through harder trails and lines than 95% of people with an XJ would be willing to even think about. I went through at least half a dozen 297x front driver's shafts...R&P's were still going strong and looking great the day I sold those axles.

If you already had the C's off, or it was an easier thing to do, it would be worth it.

If building a D44, worth it.

In your case, with not running a sky high lift, I wouldn't worry much.

Glad you chimed in brotha! :cheers:

You going to make it Saturday?

Never mind.

Last edited:
Not with anything as flimsy as a D44, or D30.

If you're putting that much into axles, awe nevermind.

hasta

Nominated.

Thanks for the help!

Back