• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how much lift is TOO much?

jmg222

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I recently finished up dropping in a significant number of upgrades, including a 8.8 rear, 35" tires, and 8" lift.

First time out on the trails with the new upgrades, I rolled it, crushing the roof and requiring an expensive roof-transplant. (for the interested, my roll and subsequent rebuild is here: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1141461 )

I'm wondering now if I went a little too far with the 8" lift, and maybe if I'd be better served by dropping it down to around 6". Any thoughts on this? Will I see a difference in stability (i.e., will I see noticeably better stability) if I drop down to a 6" lift vs. the 8" I have now?

As low as you can go, while maintaining decent flex. I've seen as low as 3.5 " with 35's lots of trimming, bumpstops etc. More common is 4.5-5.5"
6" vs 8" wil be better.

3.5"-4.5" lift, trim your fenders, and enjoy the stability

I already have an 8" lift.. if I drop down to 6" or so, would I see noticeably better stability?

One thing i have always tried to do with my rigs is to make them as close to equal in both height and width. I've tried to keep it as square as possible if not a little lower in height to keep it more stable. I would drop it down a couple inches and trim and bump stop correctly and see how it does for you.

A low COG is definitely your friend! There was an XJ floating around on here years ago that had 2" with 37s! You don't need much up travel, so set the suspension up for down travel with proper bumpstops and shock length. Measure for these based on your setup and not what the manufacturers list them for. For example a shock listed for 8" lift with a 4.5" lift isn't unreal if you adjust the bumpstops to keep from bottoming them out.

In addition to offroading, I also enjoy canoeing. There is a significant difference is stability when seating directly on the canoe seat vs using a 3 inch cushion placed on the seat. Small changes in COG make a lot of difference.

ok-- I'm going to give this serious thought.
If I went from 8" down to say 6", what would be involved, juste replacing the springs and leaves? I went to a clayton long arm suspension and fox shocks ... I would love to keep what I have, and I assume I can?

Go to new springs and leaves. If you have blocks in the rear you may just be able to remove them. Cut the fenders for clearance and install bumpstops.

You'll probably be fine with the shocks, but they won't be perfect. Since you've got them and they work, run them. It depends on how much up travel you have now, and after bumpstopping.

Go to new springs and leaves. If you have blocks in the rear you may just be able to remove them. Cut the fenders for clearance and install bumpstops.

You'll probably be fine with the shocks, but they won't be perfect. Since you've got them and they work, run them. It depends on how much up travel you have now, and after bumpstopping.

My fenders are already cut out pretty far. Should have plenty of room. I'm going to see how things look with a 6 or 5" lift.

Back