• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

floppy vent window?

jmg222

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I have a non-fixed vent window on my '88. After my recent roll-over, and replacing both front doors, I now have flappy vent windows -- they move freely, instead of staying put where I push them.

Before I rip apart the doors, how do I fix this? Is it just a tension spring on the pivot? Where can I buy parts?

Thanks!

any thoughts? I may just pull it apart

You are correct. There's a stud sticking down from the vent window with a spring and nut on it. You can reach the nut through the speaker hole with enough extensions.

ok, thanks. any insights on where I can buy hardware? or is it a standard enough spring that anything laying around in my garage would work?

The spring is around 3/4" OD, 3/8" ID, a little over an inch long, off the top of my head. McMaster-Carr would certainly have a suitable replacement. If it's almost holding, just tighten it up a bit. There's a good bit of compression left.

for anyone that wants to attempt this -- this is pretty dirt simple. I was able to adjust the nut just by taking out the door handle/power lock-windo controls, had just enough room to fit a 1/2" socket through.

driver side took 10 minutes. Passenger side to two hours, because the nut was rusted solid and I broke it off :)

Back