• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

All around DD build

The issues I see are size and load range. I currently run 265/75/16"s with load range "C" with 5.5" of lift. What's he going to run with 3" lift and not a "D" tire?

Ill run stock BFG's in 265/70/17 flavor, just like stock rubicons. Yes, the wheels will require a spacer. If i ever want a bigger tire, the wheel will support a 37" equivelant from what I've seen.

A couple of thoughts. See how much trouble you are going to have loosening the front leaf spring shackle bolts before buying a lift. One or both could be badly seized. You can get two inches of lift by wedding quadratec HD leaf packs to your existing mains without even messing with the shackle bolts. Leaving more existing leaves will yield more lift.

Without regearing don't go bigger than 31s or your transmission will not be happy. Finally not all 33s are the same. BFG at's of the 33x10.5 are much lighter than mud 33x12.5's. I get by with well maintained stock brakes with the 33x10.5.

Finally not all 33s are the same. BFG at's of the 33x10.5 are much lighter than mud 33x12.5's. I get by with well maintained stock brakes with the 33x10.5.

Yeah, going from the Mickey T Deegan 38 33x12.50 on steelies to BFG AT 33x10.50 on stock alloys saved me 17lbs per wheel. I know that wasn't all the wheel change.

I appreciate all the info fellas. Its gonna be a while before i do the WJ brake upgrade. I think some high quality pads and new rotors should be sufficient.

I have decided on a 3" lift. Just need to pick the best brand for my application. As much as i want an OME lift, its not in the budget. For wheels, i have decided to go with the 17" Grey and machined face Rubicon wheels or if i can find them the 16" moabs so i don't have to buy spacers. The 16" Moabs are hard to find in my neck of the woods. With the 17" Rubicon wheels, the stock tires should sit at 32-32.5 inches tall which is perfect for my dd needs.

Ill focus on frame stiffening, and steering upgrades after the lift. For the lift kit, my two main areas of improvement that I'm looking for is Shock quality and a full leaf setup. I need the lift to be robust enough for JCR front and rear bumpers as well as a roof rack.

So far, RC seems to be the most complete, budget friendly 3" lift option. If you know of a full leaf kit with better shocks at an affordable price, list it.

Thanks again for the wealth of knowledge.

You're on the right path for brakes and such, WJ is a great upgrade but decent rotors and pads will be fine for your needs. I've ran EBC pads on my cars and really liked them. A lot of guys run the black magic pads and love them.

For your leafs it really will be all about the same from the box shops. Some little differences here and there, but unless you get custom leafs made it really is a wash on any of them.

Shocks, the Bilsteins 5100 or OME will probably give you the best ride, but they aren't cheap. Also highly suggest getting bar pins eliminators. Cheap upgrade and worth every penny.

Something to keep in mind if that RC kit isn't fully complete. You may need a pitman arm, sway bar disconnects and brake lines, etc. If there is one thing I've learned from my jeep is nothing is ever simple. One thing always leads to another......

Back