• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brakes questions (hit brakes and e brake light turns on)

canadianwheeler

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 92 xj with a stock drive line 4.5 " lift on 31's with ABS. The last couple of days i have noticed when i hit my brakes hard my E-brake light turns on my a sec then turns off. Then last night i took a turn and it felt like i had maybe 50% brakes....

any ideas?

Here's a "hip shot" without researching my answer: E-brake light also indicates imbalance in front/rear braking circuit?? The brake combination valve has a pressure sensitive switch that basically sets between the front/rear brake circuits. If the pressure drops in one circuit below the pressure in the other circuit, an imbalance exists causing the E-brake light to come on. Check fluid level in master cylindar. One side is probably down. Also, poorly bled brakes will cause the same kind of pressure imbalance; however, this problem normally occurrs only after the brake system has been disassembled and reassembled.

Just taking a shot in the dark i took a look at my rear brake shoes and they seem pretty low. I think i might try to change them first. My brake fluid level is still seems to be at full.

9 x 2-1/2

when i blew up a cylender at Winterfest last year, that turned the e-brake light on...

id check the drums, calipers, and hard lines for visible leaks/damage.

then id take the calpiers off and look at them and take the cylenders and check them

when was the last time you changed calipers/cylenders?

everytime i do new brake shoes, i get new cylenders as well.

calipers are replaced as needed...

Its got the good old D35.

I have not done anything to the brakes since i bought it last year. I took a peak at the front pads and they seem pretty thick so i should be alright for now.

So 9" drums in right ?

Back