• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking for good info....

MC-92

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking for a good, detailed write-up on swapping a complete XJ drivetrain into a YJ.....

what I have is a '93 XJ, 4.0 H.O., AW-4, 231.... and a 88 YJ, 4.2L, frenchy POS, 231...

I would ultimately like to sell the XJ (see here) .... BUT, if it doesn't sell than I will swap 4.0L and aw-4 in with a Klune-d20...... Dont worry about wheelbase,,,,,, already comp cut with a 4" stretch... and planning on 2" more...

any help would be great...

Last edited:
Heh, heh. Wow.......

So, you'd like a group of XJ enthusiasts to help you destroy an XJ in favor of a ........ YJ??????

Don't be too disappointed if you don't get alot of response to this.

Other than the usual wiring / computer issues trying to swap an H.O. where a Renix used to be, it should be fairly bolt up. That's about the most I can offer.

Got popcorn - this could get interesting.

I didn't realize that XJs were uber vehicles that should never be parted. There's only like a bazillion of them on the road.

My understanding is that you can mix and match parts of the engine mounts to get the engine in the bay. Not sure about the tranny/t-case end. Any 5 banana monkey that is thinking about this swap should be able to sort something.

May get some pointers at cjoffroad.com - they have some good info in the forums on using the 4.0 in CJs. Not that different from your vintage YJ.

The rest is just wiring.

Do a search on PBB, been discussed there as well.

r@m

Last edited:
YELLAHEEP said:
Heh, heh. Wow.......

So, you'd like a group of XJ enthusiasts to help you destroy an XJ in favor of a ........ YJ??????

Don't be too disappointed if you don't get alot of response to this.

Other than the usual wiring / computer issues trying to swap an H.O. where a Renix used to be, it should be fairly bolt up. That's about the most I can offer.

Got popcorn - this could get interesting.

hes right plaan on a complete engine bay wiring harness. and all parts attached

what engine tranny was in the YJ

xjnation said:
hes right plaan on a complete engine bay wiring harness. and all parts attached

what engine tranny was in the YJ

I figured I'd have to use the harness... what I'm looking for is a write-up...... I have a great running XJ and need a new engine and want an auto in my YJ... so IF I dont sell the XJ, then i'll swap the drivetrain over to the YJ... I like the XJ just fine.... I dont wanna beat it up on the trails cuz it runs so good..... I figure I could sell the body and make a bit and not be out any $$$ for a engine and trans...... thanks for any NON-smart @$$ replys.....

MC-92 said:
I figured I'd have to use the harness... what I'm looking for is a write-up...... I have a great running XJ and need a new engine and want an auto in my YJ... so IF I dont sell the XJ, then i'll swap the drivetrain over to the YJ... I like the XJ just fine.... I dont wanna beat it up on the trails cuz it runs so good..... I figure I could sell the body and make a bit and not be out any $$$ for a engine and trans...... thanks for any NON-smart @$$ replys.....

bodies are a dime a dozen literally! I can pick up rollin chassis out her in az in great shape for under 200.00 easy

well Congratulations..... I'm happy for you.... do you have anything to contribute or you just trying to get your post count up..?

I'm also accumulating 4.0 and parts to swap into a 258 YJ.

I bought a complete wiring harness/computer/sensors and fuel tank from a 92 YJ to install into the 87 YJ. Basically all you need to do is make sure you use like year components.

The 4.0 will bolt up to the 258 mounts, you'll need to do something for a crossmember. You'll also need to splice in the harness and TCU to the YJ.

As mentioned earlier, Pirate is a good source for the info.

Good Luck..

Back