• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Riddler diff cover,

techno1154

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Have anyone drilled and tapped one? I want to add a drain plug so I could change the oil without removing the cover. It have a threaded fill plug but no drain plug. What is it made from? Is it nodular iron? I do have a few pipe taps from 1/8" to 1/2".

Honestly not sure what they cast them with, and haven't drilled and tapped mine, but I don't see why you couldn't do this successfully. I drill and tap housings for ARBs all the time and there really wouldn't be a difference with this.

With that said, I wouldn't personally do this because oil change intervals aren't that frequent, and when they do come around I like to pull the cover and look things over.

I don't see why not! I bought several of the "Rockcrusher" covers and drilled/tapped all of them!

On the Riddler site it states that the covers are "Cast from High Grade Ductile Iron". It looks like there's really not a decent flat spot to mount a drain plug on these covers.

On the Riddler site it states that the covers are "Cast from High Grade Ductile Iron". It looks like there's really not a decent flat spot to mount a drain plug on these covers.

That is a definite concern for me. There is no straight spot on the bottom that will make it easy to do with basic hand tools. I guess a machine shop should be able to hold it in a fixture and drill it good enough to be able to have it tapped to accept a 3/8" pipe plug. A recessed head plug should not be too obtrusive,....I think.

I will ponder over this for my next oil change.

That's a huge plug!!! I use 1/8" NPT for drain plugs. Carefully check the tapping depth and you can get them to "almost" flush.

That's a huge plug!!! I use 1/8" NPT for drain plugs. Carefully check the tapping depth and you can get them to "almost" flush.

X2! You don't need a large drain plug at all. OX covers use 1/8"NPT for their drain hole.

i would tap a lower part of the housing thats more protected before the cover, but i dont mind pulling them & spraying brake cleaner in them.

530294ee5ae5de02fc022f95.jpg

I see low pinion and high pinion fill holes.

I don't see a drain?

interesting.

their dana 44 diff cover does not have that drain hole, nor does the dana 60.

never thought to look at 30 stuff.

Cover the Scout logo with Jeep

Here are the 30 and 44 covers with drain plugs.

Fair price for each.

http://www.ihpartsamerica.com/store...At3watNF21Zj5ivr8yWqHDMOc4G_EqVxoCQcYQAvD_BwE

These people are on to something here, something most other diff cover manufacturer need to emulate.

1) a large fill hole (most others have that).
2) a tell tale hole to let you know when the diff is full (needed).
3) a magnetized drain plug (that is a double lottery winner).

:worship:

There are some very informative posts here. Thanks guys.

Last edited:
I just got covers for mine i thought for about 2 seconds and decided i seem to drag that part on rocks so id rather not have a hoke there.

Ive tapped cummins exhaust manifolds so id assume this would be no problem if you realy want the plug

That is a definite concern for me. There is no straight spot on the bottom that will make it easy to do with basic hand tools. I guess a machine shop should be able to hold it in a fixture and drill it good enough to be able to have it tapped to accept a 3/8" pipe plug. A recessed head plug should not be too obtrusive,....I think.

I will ponder over this for my next oil change.
I would say to do it proper, drill a hole weld in a threaded bung.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Back