• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Treadwrite tires

I have a set of guard dogs. Seemed to wear a bit quick, and are splitting after about 2.5 years of use. I've heard their AT treads wear better. When they were new new the traction was awesome. I have about 20k on mine and they're more or less dead. But I had bad alignment and shitty rear brakes that lock up so my wear was much more than a regular aligned jeep

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

I've been running backbone MTs 33s for about 5 years trail only. the casings are starting to crack a bit from them sitting in the sun, then running low pressure. Gashed a sidewall last time out. repaired it and using as a spare. Have beat on them pretty hard in the rocks and they've held up well.

bead to bead remolds looks like it would take care of the few issues I had with sidewall thickness variances. I think I paid just over $500 for 4. For me, they make a lot of sense.

I have Guard Dogs and I love them. They have great traction in our Louisiana mud and self clean well. Mine are the bead to bead records and look like new tires. I had an old set of their earlier retreads on a SJ that I couldn't seem to wear out. I recommend Treadwright tires without hesitation.

I have a set of 265/75/16 Claw MT on my quad cab duramax. So far I have 10,000 miles on them and they don't look to have worn much. I had one belt go bad on a long trip. Sent in the warranty claim and they sent me another tire. My recommendation is you get their road hazard warranty. I have a second set for my 2000 xj but have to finish the engine, trans, transfer case swap first.

I was on there website. There all terrain pattern looks like the first gen BFG All Terrain tires. There mud tires look the old Goodyear MTR tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's just not worth it, there are so many dis-advantages and zero benefits! Cost isn't even a plus since you can buy new tires for less!

Have you used tread wright tires ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, but I used to retread tires!
What size and type are you looking for?

where ??

I have 31's, and they cost me 165 each, and they are not a name brand tire.

There are not that many tire manufacturers so they're all re-branded by somebody!
I'll use my tire size as a example(just paid 180 at Discount for Dura-trac's).
Walmart and Pepboys sell these(which both are in the OP's area), they are the Cooper STT's(I ran a set of Pepboy's as Dakota MT's for a few years).
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mastercraft-Courser-MXT-123Q-Tire-LT265-75R16/47406790

Last edited:
I ran a set of their mt's back in 2006-2009, when they were called hi tec retreads.

They wheeled great, balanced better than expected, and didn't seem to wear too bad on the tread.

However the side walls were pretty dry rotted by 09 and I split one.

Their prices at that point were much higher than they were back in 06... to the point that I didn't find buying another set worth it.

I looked at them again this year since I live in Houston now so I wouldn't have to pay shipping. Again, not impressed with the savings, and their size availability isn't what it used to be.

I personally think used tires are a better option, if you're patient there are good deals out there on nearly new rubber.

There are not that many tire manufacturers so they're all re-branded by somebody!
I'll use my tire size as a example(just paid 180 at Discount for Dura-trac's).
Walmart and Pepboys sell these(which both are in the OP's area), they are the Cooper STT's(I ran a set of Pepboy's as Dakota MT's for a few years).
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mastercraft-Courser-MXT-123Q-Tire-LT265-75R16/47406790

I hate to tell ya, but those are not STT, very different tread pattern.

Same for the Dakota MT's I have now, not anywhere close to a Cooper STT tread like you say.

It isn't rebranding if the tread pattern as well as the name on the side are different...that's a new mold & a different tire.

Back