• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Late Model Intake Swap Question

shaggy4x

NAXJA Forum User
So I am getting ready to replace the exhaust manifold on my '94 and I was debating swapping over to the new version of the intake while I have it all apart because I have one. I know there are a few issues to work out with the power steering pump and what not. My worry is having issues passing my next smog check as I am in the "great" state of California. Will this fail it on the visual?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Shouldn't be an issue. Unless you have some jeep nerd that notices the difference and wants to be a tool.

Yeah, but I ALWAYS get that guy. Last time they told me I had to replace the little tube that goes from the intake to the valve cover which he just happened to carry for $20. You would think OEM to OEM wouldn't matter much but this place in nuts that way.

I suspect, just wondering if anyone had any personal experience with it.

I guess I'll just go look up the rule and if it's a no no I won't do it.

I've always found it acceptable to swap forward(in time) when it comes to emissions!

I swapped a 2001 intake on to my 92 xj and I have had no problems with smog. It has passed every time. I have had it smogged in LA OC and SD county.

Just passed emissions inspection for the 1st time in California with a '99 manifold on a '95. Can't say they were looking for things with a fine tooth comb, but they did fail me the first time due to evap issues. I do know they checked for a carb number on my (brand new) cat.

Don't make the manifold look like it's brand new, but rather has been there for as long as the rest of the engine.

David Bricker / SYR

I installed a late model intake on my 97 X, along with a ported head, 62mm throttle body, a Banks header and a 2-1/2" cat-back exhaust.
It tests cleaner now, than when it was stock and, is a lot more fun to drive.

Thanks for the input guys. I was hoping that since it is a factory part it would not be and issue. The last thing I want is to have to do that job twice.

Back