• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TeraFlex 231J 4:1 Low T-Case

they pop up on pirate from time to time.

you are better off finding a rubicon case anyway. the teraflex 4:1 has issue with oiling when on the throttle in low range.

Tell that to my 16yr old Tera-flex! I did buy a 241 for my 95 and it's definitely quieter and stronger!

Tell that to my 16yr old Tera-flex! I did buy a 241 for my 95 and it's definitely quieter and stronger!
i dont have to.... teraflex does right in their description.

https://teraflex.com/shop_items/528ffa7fead962f416e72e96

I have an AX15. To the best of my knowledge a 241OR can't be adapted to the AX15. Hence, the 231J 4:1 Low.....

Brian
its a 6 bolt round pattern. itll bolt up. you may want to clock it differnetly. but itll bolt up.

i dont have to.... teraflex does right in their description.

Your reading your thoughts into it, cause it doesn't say that! The 214 runs the same risk!

Your reading your thoughts into it, cause it doesn't say that! The 214 runs the same risk!

3872d20644f88dbf7b32a9d1df4bff0c.jpg

It does say it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

no i'm not, yes it does, and no it doesnt.

does the case work, and work well for a lot of people? yes. are there limitations? yes. im just telling you what teraflex themselves has explicitely said and what ive personally seen.

check the instructions, or call them even. they have said in the past and they will tell you they do not recommend using the case in low range under heavy throttle... situations you would likely see in sand, snow, and mud. do they tell you exactly why? no, they dont want to scare people off of their own product. "oil starvation issue!? wait, what!?" they just put a "voids warranty if..." clause on it and leave it at that. but it is a know oil starvation issue that can/will damage the planetaries. the 241or does not suffer from the same issue, despite the gear set being the same ratio.

How can the 241 be immune to the same rpm's?

Bingo!! You would be going pretty fast in 3rd or 4th for that to happen, which also means "not much load". Drag racing planetaries see some "high" speeds and under much more torque!

Couldn't tell ya...

Next question - is there a way to get a mechanical speedo output for a 241OR?

Thanks,
Brian
241OR from a TJ/LJ will have the provision on the tail cone.

How can the 241 be immune to the same rpm's?
different oiling design...

Bingo!! You would be going pretty fast in 3rd or 4th for that to happen, which also means "not much load". Drag racing planetaries see some "high" speeds and under much more torque!

you mean like in sand, mud, or snow?

i think your reading too much into it now. i never said it was a RPM thing. i said it was a throttle thing, which may be vague. if we want to be concise, it is an input RPM thing, yes. and id agree that you are probably safe banging the rev limiter in in first gear while in low range.

but the issue isnt a load issue, it isnt a torque issue, it isnt the gears themselves. its too much spinning, not enough oil. the issue gets multiplied in something like a hill/dune climb (that is where i have personally seen them fail) where all the oil gets slung to the back of the case.

Couldn't tell ya...

Next question - is there a way to get a mechanical speedo output for a 241OR?

Thanks,
Brian

The 241 doesn't use a speedo gear, it has a hall effect sensor!

TJ 241OR speedo will work on at least a '95 XJ. Just need to adapt the wiring, or buy the little plug converter.

David Bricker / SYR

I have an AX15. To the best of my knowledge a 241OR can't be adapted to the AX15. Hence, the 231J 4:1 Low.....

Brian

I've had a 241J, in my 90 for 15 years, installed with a 95 AX-15. It's tight, and the linkage needs to be fiddled with, I had to put in an electronic speedo, and twist the arm of a dealer tech to order me the connector for the sensor, but it's there and it works.

Back