NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old April 4th, 2011, 08:43
NAXJA Member

Re: 5.2L Magnum XJ engine swap

No modern US V8 is lameass, sorry I just don't agree. As for the 5.0L specifically making a drivable 300HP from one is a breeze. And for that it's about 60lbs less than the 4.0L and physically smaller than any modern V8. An all aluminum LS may be somewhat lighter but for an Iron block and heads their hard to beat.

The 318 is a fine motor too though. Up until the Magnum the 318 was the "low line" engine and therefore mostly ran 2V carbs. It has as much potential as any other V8 out there. With the Magnums the motors were much upgraded and even though there is plenty more potential they are good motors out of the box.

For my needs as stated in an earlier post I break plenty of stuff with the 6, so why do I want a V8? The fact is that even a 4 cyl has enough power off road. With a 4:1 low range and 4.88 gears you don't need tons of HP or torque to get a Jeep moving off road. My Jeep, like me, has put on weight over the years though. I scaled it a few months ago and it came in at 4930 lbs with no spare tire and essentially unloaded. Throw 3 more people in there and enough gear for camping for a week and your looking at just south of 3 tons! I've always felt the 4.0L was too weak for the XJ if you tow much of anything or load it up with a lot of weight, so a V8 is just what it needs IMHO.

B
Old April 4th, 2011, 08:58
NAXJA Forum User

Location: Central MA - keep going till the road turns to dirt, then listen for banjos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBZ95Xj View Post
XJ

to the OP why not do a 360, extrenally same as a 5.2 but with lots mo power
exactly what I am looking at right now.

OP, aiming for MT or AT? I wouldn't put a Chryco AT in anything. Dodge Dakotas and Rams come with 5.2s and 5.9s and various aisin and NVG 5-speeds though. My ideal swap donor (which I am shopping for, not doing the swap for a while but keeping my eye out for cheap donors) is a 94-02 Dodge Ram 2500/3500, preferably 3500. I found one for 1500 bucks with a plow and dump bed but it sold before I could get the cash together for it. If I'd picked it up, I would have a 5.9, NV3500, and NP231DHD (iirc) to swap, and a pair of 60s plus a plow and dump bed to sell to partially cover the costs.
Old April 4th, 2011, 08:59
NAXJA Forum User

Just a nitpick Ken, that would be a NV4500.
Old April 4th, 2011, 09:00
NAXJA Forum User

Location: Central MA - keep going till the road turns to dirt, then listen for banjos

Fair enough For some reason I thought it was a 3500. Got confused with the 5600 that I seem to recall only being available on diesel models.
Old April 4th, 2011, 09:10
NAXJA Forum User

if your going to go 5.2, why not go 5.9?
Old April 4th, 2011, 09:10
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by yossarian19 View Post
Really? Not that I've driven / seen a Magnum engine in a Jeep but the power figures don't look like anything special. More than that, the light research I've done doesn't show squat for power adders without camming it or going back to a stone-age carbeurator.

The power output isn't fantastic, especially when you look into the GM LS motors, but the 5.2 has a great powerband for the Jeeps, IMO. My 5.9 is all grunt, and feels like it has not great HP. The 5.2, however, is a revvy bastard that really pulls, and is a blast to drive.

You don't install a 5.2 or 5.9 for the most power to weight. You do it for ease of install and availability. Plus, I'm a Mopar guy.
Old April 4th, 2011, 09:47
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talyn View Post
230 hp and 300 ft lbs torque. For a V8 its a dog in any vehicle.
But... 190HP and 235 lb ft of torque is even more doggy!

I know everyone thinks a header, free flowing exhaust, and a cold air intake are worth 40hp but their not! Getting 40 more HP from a 4.0L is not an easy task and even then there is no guaranty you'll be making 300 lb ft of torque. A stroker will do it but when your done you still have a rough running POS that needs premium fuel, and weighs more than the V8.

250HP + on a V8 is a simple cam swap away.

B
Old April 4th, 2011, 09:48
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaius View Post

You don't install a 5.2 or 5.9 for the most power to weight. You do it for ease of install and availability. Plus, I'm a Mopar guy.
Exactly!
Old April 4th, 2011, 09:51
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ-ARNIE View Post
if your going to go 5.2, why not go 5.9?
HP isn't THE most important factor here. It is important but I'm looking for a balance of HP, fuel economy, and cost to do the swap. 5.2's are more plentiful than the 5.9's and for my needs a 5.9 isn't really required.

I guess it's the same reason people do 5.3L or even 5.7L swaps over 6.0L swaps. What's available for a good price is usually the motivator.

B
Old April 4th, 2011, 10:09
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloose View Post
But... 190HP and 235 lb ft of torque is even more doggy!
Nice flat torque curve, easy to work on and reliability is what makes the 4.0L desirable.
Quote:
I know everyone thinks a header, free flowing exhaust, and a cold air intake are worth 40hp but their not!
Might get 10 hp to the wheels at most
Quote:
A stroker will do it but when your done you still have a rough running POS that needs premium fuel, and weighs more than the V8.
And a V8 has great balancing characteristics, right? A stroker will only run rough if you make it that way. And they can be made to run on regular. Besides I haven't seen anyone recommend a stroker in this thread.
Old April 4th, 2011, 10:21
NAXJA Member

I didn't say anyone recommended a stroker, I said to get 40 more HP from a 4.0L you would need to do something pretty major like a stroker.

As far as reliability the 4.0L's haven't been good to me. The oil pump on mine just failed at 135K miles. My wife's 2001 was dumping coolants into the oil at 75K and needed to be replaced. Her replacement lasted about 4K miles and busted the distributor drive (actually just a cam position shaft) which took out the cam. That too may have been oil pump related.

Plus their expensive to rebuild. As far as rough running, a good balance job may help but the 4.0L's, at least all 5 of them I've owned, have been anything but smooth.

The fact is, I personally am not a fan of the 4.0L. This is 100% based on my own personal experience and if you like them or even love them, great. I know most people run them for 200K + miles without incident. Doggy, expensive to rebuild, expensive to get good power gains, heavy, and for me, not the most reliable, are the reasons I'm not a fan. Again though, that's just me, if you love them then so be it. This thread isn't about what a POS the 4.0L is, it's about if there is a good reason that the Magnum V8's don't make a good donor motor for the XJ.

B
Old April 4th, 2011, 10:26
NAXJA Forum User

The 00-01 is known for the coolant/oil issue due to the 0331 head. I've also heard about cam / DIS sensor / oil pump drive issues and saw them first hand on an 05 (?) LJ wheeling last fall. Apparently it's known but they haven't found a fix for it yet.

My 91 has 230k hard miles on it, including running out of oil multiple times. Still gets up and goes great, had it bouncing off the rev limiter for a minute or two solid last winter going up a hill in the snow with an open rear diff, no 4wd, and street tires.

96 also still going great, I've been beating the hell out of it and it just won't give up.

98 might need a new motor but I'm not sure. Need to check compression and some other stuff before I condemn it, it's not firing right on cylinders 3 and 4.

Regardless I want to do the same thing you're planning. I started out looking for a 5.2 and then said to myself "if I'm gonna do a motor swap I might as well see what's available for 5.9s in 1 ton trucks with better transmissions before I settle for a 5.2", and that's where I am now. If all I can find is a 5.2 when I decide to buy the donor so be it, I'll plan on getting an ECU and 5.9 to drop in it later. It will be replacing the motor in the 91, which will probably go on to live in the 98 or sit in my shed as a spare in case anyone I know hydrolocks theirs wheeling.
Old April 4th, 2011, 10:44
NAXJA Member

Quote:
This thread isn't about what a POS the 4.0L is
Then why did you bring it up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastein View Post
The 00-01 is known for the coolant/oil issue due to the 0331 head. I've also heard about cam / DIS sensor / oil pump drive issues and saw them first hand on an 05 (?) LJ wheeling last fall. Apparently it's known but they haven't found a fix for it yet.
The cam sensor/oil pump drive is known for freezing up. Happened to me once. Cam was fine luckily. I haven't heard that many incidents on the XJ, probably because it only had it for 00-01. I have noticed that it is a common problem on TJs and their variants.
Old April 4th, 2011, 11:58
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
HP isn't THE most important factor here. It is important but I'm looking for a balance of HP, fuel economy, and cost to do the swap.
B
Those motors aren't know for good fuel economy, but maybe they'd be alright in a jeep. I do like the idea of a cheep and easy v8 swap.
Old April 4th, 2011, 12:18
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srimes View Post
Those motors aren't know for good fuel economy, but maybe they'd be alright in a jeep. I do like the idea of a cheep and easy v8 swap.
No Jeeps are known for good fuel mileage. I just figure a 5.2 would get better fuel mileage than a 5.9L yet meet my needs.

B