• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Some Details About a PSC SP1205C Power Steering Pump

Anak

Stranger
NAXJA Member
My power steering pump was replaced by a previous owner. It has had a minor leak at the reservoir for as long as I have owned it. On this last trip it developed an additional leak at the front of the pump such that it was starting to sling power steering fluid off the pulley. I decided it was time to replace it.

What my local Napa had to offer was a bare pump (no reservoir) for $60 with a $55 core charge. I had a hard time with the idea that someone valued my core as worth only $5 less than their own product. Something about that math just didn't work right in my mind.

So I came here, and PSC seems to be a pretty safe bet. I ordered an SP1205C from Summit.

There are a couple of details that would have been nice to know up front. Most importantly, the marketing image of an SP1205C is not an accurate representation of the current product. One of the mounting lugs shown in the image is not present on the pump.

Here is the marketing image, with my red circle added to the relevant lug:

SP1205CPwrSteeringPumpA.jpg

Here is that lug in its application:

SP1205CPwrSteeringPump1.jpg

Here is the pump that I received:

SP1205CPwrSteeringPump2.jpg

I called PSC to find out if I had received a mis-boxed product. No. This is the current production. The foundry that casts these pumps hasn't made the version with that lug in ten years or so. PSC provides the short bolt that is necessary to mount this pump without the one lug. And I am assured it will work just fine.

I still have my reservations. The pump I received appears to be the older style such as is on my '93. That would mean that someone at Chrysler decided the additional lug was needed in '96 (and later). In my mind, if someone persuaded the bean counters that this lug was necessary then they must have had a good reason.

This also tells me why my core is so valuable to someone. I will be hanging onto it to have it rebuilt. I will then move this new pump over to my '93.

Another detail worth noting is the fluid requirement for this pump. Here is the tag that comes with it:

SP1205CPwrSteeringPump11.jpg

Note that the GM part number is already obsolete. The current P/N is 19329448.

I had picked up some Valvoline power steering fluid, thinking I would use that. The tech guy at PSC could not tell me if it would be a good choice or not. One of the important details is that the fluid not contain conditioners. The wrong stuff will make the pump run hotter. I decided to spring for the GM fluid at $12/quart at the local stealership. There may be better options if you know in advance what you need to be looking for.

One last note: In looking for information about swapping power steering pumps I came across several comments about pulleys being flimsy and not holding up to pullers. Evidently some folks are not aware that the pullers for power steering pulleys are a unique type. They are not the jaw type. All force is applied at the very center of the pulley, none at the perimeter. Use the right puller (and installer) and there should be no issues with the pulley. The right tool for the job should look something like this:

SP1205CPwrSteeringPump13.jpg

Note that is in the "install" configuration. The black cylinder with the 1/2" rod sticking out of it is the "puller" part.

Hopefully this will help someone else out there.

If I remember when I go back to work on tues, I will interchange the GM PN and see if it crosses to anything OTS/less expensive.
The only thing I can think at this point is that GM might have gone to way of Ford and their ps fluid is based on or same as their synthetic trans fluid.

One thing I did learn from working for Ford, is that the Motorcraft xL3 (friction modifier) works well in ps systems.
Helps Ford ps not sound like ford, and others quiet down. It worked in my MJ.

Although my MJ pump and gear box leak enough meow that it doesn't make a difference.

Last edited:
If I remember when I go back to work on tues, I will interchange the GM PN and see if it crosses to anything OTS/less expensive.
The only thing I can think at this point is that GM might have gone to way of Ford and their ps fluid is based on or same as their synthetic trans fluid.

I don't think it will turn out to be synthetic. That is one of the details on that tag. No synthetic fluids. And no ATF.

If you can find an OTS equivalent that would be great. I had seen that PSC recommended the Swepco fluid, but I didn't want to order that and have it shipped. My experiences with having oils/coolants shipped have been less than stellar. I would much rather pick up those items locally.

Additionally, if anyone knows what chain carries Swepco, or under what other private labels it appears, that would be good to know too.

The reason the cores have become so expensive??? We are running out of parts, there are none for them to rebuild if you don't return your cores.

For a $10 core, most guys would just trash them.

These parts are not being cast anymore, what's out there is out there, that's it.

I have been running without that missing lug for years.

Just go for it.

We use Valvoline power steering fluid with our PSC pump (missing that lug) in the racecar. I'm sure other fluids would be better, but we go through so much fluid unexpectedly that we really need what we can buy anywhere. This year at KOH we consumed almost 2 gallons of power steering fluid (and atf) before throwing in the towel. (No psc products failed to cause this).

The numbers they provide dissipate heat better, but your stuff is fine.

These pumps generate more heat. Be sure to run a cooler.

Last edited:
I just did this on my 2k. The bolt/lug is no issue and the fluid cross references to "mineral oil" which most power steering fluids are! Yes you need a "clam-shell" puller/installer tool!

I have been running mine without a cooler ever since I started this thread. Only issue has been a failure of the O-ring for the tank. I replaced the O-ring from PSC with a 14mm x 3mm Metric O-ring:

JeepPWRStringTankSealOPT.jpg

That was just about a month ago that I did that.

FWIW, I am on 30" tires and the Jeep is more of a daily driver than a trail rig.

Does the PSC pump flow more than a stocker? I'm still running an oem chrysler pump on mine.

One thing I learned from Dustin Webster is that the hydraulic tractor oil from amsoil works great for power steering also.

I don't know for certain, but I doubt this particular pump runs more than stock. I think they are just supposed to be built with good quality components.

I would suggest calling them and asking them. They are one of those rare companies where you can get connected to an intelligent person who speaks fluent English.

I did get around to putting this pump into my xj. It pulls great. The problem is the belt doesn’t align perfectly. It sits closer to the engine despite the pulley not being flush with the pump shaft. Therefore, the belt is behind where it should be related to the water pump location. I will play around more with pulling the pulley further away from the shaft/towards the radiator, but it is already a couple mm away from being flush. I don’t know how far is too far off the shaft to get proper alignment.

I know Pdx claims these are for wrangler 4.0s and I wonder if their brackets are any diffeeent, if my 96 might need some kind of washer/spacer or something for the bracket.

I had no such issues with mine, and mine is also a '96.

I would call PSC and inquire if there might have been a mis-boxing/mis-labeling situation.

i have the same pump as yours on my jeep for about 4 years. I am running a gen right pulley on mine to speed it up a bit, along with an inline cooler. Steering is crazy easy even though my agr box is leaking from the selector shaft a little. I installed my pump then fine tuned the pulley position with everything on the vehicle. You shouldn't need any spacers.

I did find some parts store pulleys are different diameters. one from kragen was smaller than stock and the same size as the genright.

what pulley part # are you using? I ordered a new dorman 300-301 for a 96 cherokee. however the pump was designed for 97 TJs/XJs which specify a 300-302 pulley. not that it seems to make a difference. The site is strange and specifies the difference in bore:

301 bore: .6618
302 bore: 16.84

no idea what these numbers mean they're so different. i see no reason why this would make a difference anyway. I backed the pulley off a bit more and it seems to be more in line now but i could be psyching myself out. not sure how to measure alignment exactly and by eye is deceiving.

Now that it’s been a few years since you’ve installed the psc pump, how has It held up for you? I’m looking into buying the same pump that you listed in this thread after loosing power steering in my autozone pump after only a week of use and now it’s awfully noisy, I bled all the air out before using.

The pump has been largely fine. The only issue I have had is that I had to replace the O-ring seal between the plastic tank and the metal pump body. I think the plastic nipple on the tank was not made of thick enough material and it wound up compressing under the pressure of the O-ring. A new O-ring (with I believe a smaller ID) took care of the issue.

The pump has been largely fine. The only issue I have had is that I had to replace the O-ring seal between the plastic tank and the metal pump body. I think the plastic nipple on the tank was not made of thick enough material and it wound up compressing under the pressure of the O-ring. A new O-ring (with I believe a smaller ID) took care of the issue.

Awesome thanks for getting back to me on it!

Did your SP1205C come with a pulley or no? On the psc website it says its not included but one of the reviewers on summit said it came with the pulley already installed.

Back