• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE 2.5" add a leaf...did i mess up?

97jeepxj1

NAXJA Forum User
Got the add a leafs in the packs and back on my jeep. I did this in order to eliminate the lift block on the axle for the budget boost it is running. Rear end seems to sit higher and I have pretty much no shackle angle. They are straight up and down. I'm running factory shackles. I left the shackle top bolt loose and both spring eyebolts till it was on the ground. Torqued the top shackle bolt and main eye to 100ft lbs and the shackle spring eye to 80 ft lbs.

Last edited:
IMO people make a bit too much fuss about shackle angle. Straight up and down is OK. I ran the RE 2.5" AAL on my 2000 for several years with stock shackles, and the ride and flex was pretty good. When I installed full length 3.5" leaves and an extended shackle, the ride did not change. The RE 2.5 then got installed into my 1999, again with stock shackles. Run it as-is for a while and see how it works for you. If necessary you can install a no lift shackle relocation.

You didn't mess up. Taller leafs are usually a little bit longer as well, so that the mount points are in approx the same place after the bigger arch.

You have the same length leaf and changed the arc, so its going to be shorter eye to eye. It would ride better with a longer main and better shackle angle, but what you have is expected with the equipment installed. It might be a bit jarring on speed bumps but will work just fine.

It will work a lot better with a little longer shackle.

Back