• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New XJ owner - need advice, can't decide on mods??? (PICS)

A lot of folks have said some good stuff. My opinion on priorities in order:

Fix steering angles. Serious bump steer is in your future. If you don't have a dropped pitman arm, that can help. But likely, you'll also need to raise the track bar mount on the axle.

Fix the radius arm. As mentioned, looks like someone tried to make a 3 link, but it's not supposed to be that way.

Ditch the D35. Get a 29 spline 8 1/4, and toss in there. Optionally, truss it before it goes in . Artec makes a nice truss (among others) for the 8 1/4. IF you're really staying with the D35, I've got a new Ruffstuff diff cover I can sell you.

I'd really look at deeper gears. I ran 33s with an AX-15 and 4.56, and was quite happ6y. I've recently moved to 35s, and the 4.56s are just a little tall pulling hills. This is with a fresh stroker. I can't imagine pulling the hills in and out of the Panamints with 3.55s on 33s.

If you can get the D35 with locker, gears, etc. that cheap, perhaps. Just be aware that you will be upgrading it at some point, so hope you can sell it down the road.

When changing fluids, be sure to use the correct fluid in the AX-15, or you'll eat the synchos. I'm using Pennzoil Synchomesh fluid. Some of the GL-5 fluid is NOT compatible.

Nui 'Ula, eh? From the islands? We're heading there in a few years.

Panamint Valley, eh? Ever been by PSR (Panamint Springs)? I'm there 3-6 times a year, my son manages the restaurant there, my Jeep lives there. Especially November, I'm always there for Thanksgiving. Maybe we can connect, and do some runs.

David Bricker / SYR

I think we've met in the past, maybe a PSR event. I'm on PV.com but it's been a while. Nice to see your name again! :)

Can't remember too many ppl from the gang...I remember vehicles more. haha.

- Old timer in a white Tacoma...
- RubiBlue (?), in a blue Rubi of course...
- Chris...works at DVNP, lives in Pahrump now...Wrangler and Subaru guy...
- Lloyd Swartz, red 2-door Raider/Montero on 35's used to go out there...

Eh, none of this makes any sense I bet. Anyway, we'll be out there Thanksgiving week. Probably camping in Ballarat @ Rock's place. Is Rocky still doing OK? It's been a couple years since we've been out there.

I think we've met in the past, maybe a PSR event. I'm on PV.com but it's been a while. Nice to see your name again! :)

Can't remember too many ppl from the gang...I remember vehicles more. haha.

- Old timer in a white Tacoma...
- RubiBlue (?), in a blue Rubi of course...
- Chris...works at DVNP, lives in Pahrump now...Wrangler and Subaru guy...
- Lloyd Swartz, red 2-door Raider/Montero on 35's used to go out there...

Eh, none of this makes any sense I bet. Anyway, we'll be out there Thanksgiving week. Probably camping in Ballarat @ Rock's place. Is Rocky still doing OK? It's been a couple years since we've been out there.

I get confused by screen names, so can't remember you offhand.

White Taco - likely Norman Johnson
Rubiblue - Jim Kenney; still around
Chris is still in Pahrump
I vaguely remember a Montero

One of the guys, Doug, comes down at least yearly from Oregon.

Rock is still Rock. Claims to not like people, but sure soaks up the attention from folks that stop by. As you probably now, George passed a few years ago.

When you're out in November, come by PSR for T-day. Free will offering dinner - great food, all the trimmings. I'll be at the front door greeting folks, as I have for the last 11 years.

David Bricker / SYR

Running 33 inch tires on 3.55 gears is a terrible idea. The best mod I ever made on my XJ was installing 4.56 gears, and I like my jeep better with 31's than 33's (I have two sets of tires), especially towing or at high elevation. Also, the C8.25 is a much better axle than a D35, even the 27 spline version.

Great looking rig, I'm jealous of the deal you got!

I'm partial to D44s, and real ones at that (not JK axles or Rubi axles). I'd go with a rear D44 ASAP instead of guilding the pig.

OK, fair enough. Can't imagine the 8.8 is a bad choice to be honest. Use what you can find.

Honestly, if it was me? Firs things I'd do would be to put additional cooling on the trans and power steering, as well as inline filters.

This is a recurring thing I kinda preach on... a $20 filter will treat your transmission and PS pumps much better than what they came with- making them last longer- and it's easier to maintain, too!

I can provide details if interested. Here's a hint:
https://www.amazon.com/58964-Magnetic-Line-Transmission-Filter/dp/B0014BCFC0

Made a major score today! Found a 29sp C8.25 for $25!!! :shocked:

Just finished installing it with a very generous NAXJA guy who came over to help. Test drive successful! :yap:

I to don't think I'd mess with 30 or 35 on this dig.
D44 front narrowed d60 or 9" rear with 456 years. Seems the money saved cobbling small axles under it with chromo shafts will soon be wasted.

Maybe invest in welder and learn fabrication. You can narrow axles yourself and get inner shafts made.

Back