• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Good Undercoating/Rust Prevention Methods?

I really wish I had a car lift so I could just walk under my Jeep and spray Fluid Film. I am going to look into the electric sprayer next time I apply. It really is a Jeep saver in Boston. Others living here can attest to the fact that our roads can look like gravel roads with all the salt they throw down.

I really wish I had a car lift so I could just walk under my Jeep and spray Fluid Film. I am going to look into the electric sprayer next time I apply. It really is a Jeep saver in Boston. Others living here can attest to the fact that our roads can look like gravel roads with all the salt they throw down.

You and me both. I have been using my friends compressor and Fluid Film gun kit to apply. On the ground. Crawling around on my back or stomach to spray the stuff. I use about a 1/2 gallon at a whack. IMO Fluid Film is not a less is more deal. I gunk it good. But with a lift being able to stand and do it I bet I could apply more evenly and get good coverage with maybe a third of a gallon. Would save a little money.

You and me both. I have been using my friends compressor and Fluid Film gun kit to apply. On the ground. Crawling around on my back or stomach to spray the stuff.

I do the same and end up covered in FF and sore as hell with road rash on my shoulder blades from shimmying around. I have a FF set of clothes now that stay in the basement b/c of the smell!

I do the same and end up covered in FF and sore as hell with road rash on my shoulder blades from shimmying around. I have a FF set of clothes now that stay in the basement b/c of the smell!

My buddy does his diesel Dodge and his fathers diesel Dodge duallie the same day I go there and do mine. Always in October for the winter. We get enough overspray on his asphalt driveway that the driveway actually cleans better for bit when he plows it. Or if it rains before it snows all the water beads up in the area we Fluid Filmed on. As for the smell the first year we did it his kid said it smelled like the bathrooms at a campground.

How about this stuff:
0f4fe75b-2b47-427f-b6c3-9f2b85dd9b2e_1000.jpg

I used some of the Permatex undercoating spray when I had my uniframe stiffeners welded on. No rust.
Duplicolor also makes a couple different ones.

My plan is to hit the wheel wells with POR-15, then because POR-15 is light sensitive, hit it with some truck bed coating (while POR-15 is still tacky). Anyone given this a shot before?

I have a '98 2 door that is my daily driver here in PA. I just bought it from a garage who resto-mods XJs and they do a kevlar undercoating or wherever you want it on the vehicle. so I went with the whole body, then painted and of course the underside as well. I'm wondering if I should go over the underside with POR15 just to be sure it's good and sealed up. The guy honors the lifetime warranty of the spray against any chips or peeling... so I'd have to assume it's going to hold up to the salt here.

I bought a 2wd 98 XJ sport in Texas and did a 4wd conversion . It's my daily driver , sort of . I'm retired so I don't "have to be anywhere " every day but it's my primary ride during the winter . The first thing I did was take it to Krown and had their rust inhibitor applied . I do this annually and three western NY winters later there are no signs of rust .
http://krown.com

I'm in the process replacing the body on my 97 XJ 2dr with a rust free shell I got from west Texas . I will use Fluid film on this one as I can apply myself and really do a thorough job as the car is completely disassembled and I have a lift .

Back