• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

P0122 error 2000 4.0 Sport

xjintx

NAXJA Forum User
OK a week ago I got the p0122 error the Throttle Position Sensor. The Jeep was running sluggish except when not on throttle or hard on it. Replaced with a Borg Warner from OReilly's.
Drove yesterday into town and back 40ish miles and was good as ever. Took out last night and same old sluggishness back and now the error again

Did I get a bad sensor or is there something else to check? Wiring looks good and protected within the harness... maybe something I can check or clean underneath?

Thanks!

Buy a genuine Jeep TPS. Most auto parts stores sell cheap crappy Chinese "Lifetime Warranty" parts that are poorly manufactured and are often out of specification, or even failed, right out of the box. The ones that aren’t faulty often have a short service life before they fail. Always buy top quality replacement parts and genuine Jeep sensors. Numerous threads detail long and frustrating searches for a "problem" that ended up being cured simply with genuine Jeep repair parts.

Cheap parts are cheap for a reason.

P0122 JEEP - Throttle Position Sensor/Accelerator Position Pedal Circuit Low Input

Possible causes

- Faulty throttle position sensor
- Throttle position sensor wire harness is open or shorted
- Throttle position sensor circuit poor electrical connection

Guess I'll buy an OEM TPS... wasted the money at Oreilly's :(
Don't think it would be clockspring as the Jeep runs like bad TPS

The clockspring and the TPS share a common grounding point. Failure of the clockpsring shorts 12 volts to the ground, which back feeds 12 volts to the 5 volt TPS and the CCD Bus.

A P0122 point to a faulty TPS, more than to a faulty clockspring.

The clockspring and the TPS share a common grounding point. Failure of the clockpsring shorts 12 volts to the ground, which back feeds 12 volts to the 5 volt TPS and the CCD Bus.

A P0122 point to a faulty TPS, more than to a faulty clockspring.

Sorry to bring up an old thread but where exactly is this grounding point shared by the clock spring and TPS?

I have unexplained Voltage on TPS output wire and looking for options...

I am not good at reading Service Manual wire diagrams, but the TPS/Clock spring issue is well known. Jeep even issued a Technical Service Bulletin for the problem. Unplugging the horn relay or the clock spring itself usually eliminates the excess voltage and confirms the diagnosis.

The Switch Sense circuit in the Clock spring in the steering wheel hub has shorted to battery voltage from the horn button circuit. When the Switch Sense Circuit shorts to the 12 volt HORN circuit the TPS signal voltage is driven high and remains there as shown. This is because the 5 volt reference voltage used by the Cruise Control “Switch Sense” circuit and the TPS are shared inside the PCM.

A late model Jeep with a 2.5 or 4.0 liter engine and the AW4 transmission comes in with the “MIL” Check Engine Light illuminated and a customer complaint of late shifts. ( Some Forum members also note sputtering and stalling symptoms. ) A scan reveals a code P0123, “TPS Voltage High”, is stored. The scan tools data list indicates that the TPS signal wire voltage is at 5.0 volts at closed throttle, and then ranges up to 11.5 volts. A back probe of the TPS signal wire (usually an Orange/Dk Blue wire), shows 5.7 volts at closed throttle, with a similar rise in voltage as the throttle is opened. A check of the TPS 5 volt supply and ground circuit prove that both of these circuits are good. A check of the TPS signal wire with the TPS disconnected shows the same 5.7 volts. Inspection of the wiring between the TPS and the PCM and TCM shows no faults. A replacement TPS does not cure the problem, neither does replacement of the PCM or TCM.

Last edited:
Saw that awhile back -- No cruise control but I tried the clock spring and relay anyway -- No change

I have a thread running with all my symptoms -- I'll look at the wiring diagram and see if I can figure out where the common ground is although I did go and re-do all the grounds I could find -- easily could have missed one

My other thread -- "voltage on throttle position output wire"

Back