• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brakes and Lockers, good times

hrmm decisions... decisions.. The biggest thing that worries me is the long highway drive with gearing like that, 200k miles on the 4.0, cant afford to blow it right now. I think ill stick with 4.10s cuz if I go bigger ill prolly find a bigger axle for the front.

Back to your brakes question:

I'm not sure why folks go to rear discs without upgrading the fronts. You should be keeping the proportions as same as stock (biased towards the front) which means you can't get more out of the rears unless and until you get more out of the fronts.

For the fronts, the WJ set seems like a great idea. I've been too lazy for that.

Black Magic pads are amazing. I got tons more performance out of stock XJ fronts compared to relatively nice new pads and rotors. I'd do that first and see what you think. If you want rear discs, you've already said no, but I'd put in an 8.8.

Regarding lockers: for what you are doing, I wouldn't hesitate to use a lunchbox or two. I've always found the best deals on Spartan lockers. Do know that with 4.10 (or more) gears in the D30, you'll need to pull the carrier and remove the ring gear to install it.

Finally, gears: I ran 4.10s and 33s. Now I have 4.88s and 35s, which is pretty similar to 4.56s with 33s. The highway RPMS aren't a problem. If you find 4.56s at a price you can work with, do it. But if you are on a budget, it REALLY sounds like an 8.8 with factory 4.10s might make you happy, and there are D30s floating around with factory 4.10s (off the four-cylinder models).

Paul

Ive been eyeballing the Black magic pads, I have relatively new rotors so im good there.
My dumb question of the day, are the adjusters in the drums side specific?

Until one breaks, binding the shafts and popping the ball joints, usually happens about 25 miles from the nearest paved road.

Might be fine for near stock diameter tires but not for large tires and harder wheeling.
The exception are RCV axles, which cost a bundle.
http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/CVJ30-XJ.html?gclid=CJfKo_yGkdECFUpNfgods7oI-A
ZJ CV shafts tend to break the cage and just spin inside themselves.

U joint shafts are far more likely to take out a ball joint.

So my question, Sway bar discos, I wanna get a set from steinjager, downside is, theirs only go to 4" lift. what would a comparable lift height be for a TJ? Im at 4.5" lift now, but planning on going to 6.5" soon. I figured if I could get the right set for the tj theyd be long enough

Back