• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MEAN GREEN starter......

XpedientJ

NAXJA Forum User
The bendix on the starter had been, clearly, startin' to fail....so,
while she was up for a rear-disc conversion....I just bit the 'ole,
proverbial bullet, and got a Mean Green...

Gotta say, wow....cranks at what sounds like twice the rate, and....
has a cool sound when retractin'....! {I once had a '68 Kaiser-Jeep
M725 MIL ambulance....yes, schweet with OEM D-60 front, and D-70 rear...:)
I converted it to 12V, and used 2/0 cable when upgrading the electrics,
and....it was amazing just how much more cranking amps were passin'
thru that fatter wire, evidenced by the crank-rate... THIS, reminded me
of that result.}

A worthwhile investment, in a key area of functionality, I would say...
('cause...if it ain't startin', it ain't movin'....) - Performance, and reliability, for the duration....

Oh and, yes....starts more quickly....

Always wanted one of these - thanks for the review. I will be putting one on the new Jeep! :guitar:

any new starter is gonna crank faster then a used starter, ill stick with my parts store starter that cost half the price

any new starter is gonna crank faster then a used starter, ill stick with my parts store starter that cost half the price

Indeed.... there is no benefit to paying for a Mean Green when a parts store shelf starter works just fine.

High-torque starters are rated at 35K starts/cranks vs the OEM rated at 5K cranks.

Cost per crank is actually less.

People who buy these parts buy them for life, move then to other Jeeps when sold.

They are also adjustable for modification purposes.

I'll be getting a Powermaster version in the future.

I will also assume that it will consume less battery per start.

Where did you pull that number out of?

The Mean Green IH Scout starter weighs just 12 pounds and is 33-percent smaller than the factory unit. Since the stock starter is much heavier and larger, the Mean Green unit is an excellent candidate for vehicles running headers. An internal solenoid that isn't prone to overheating like stock IH V-8 starters is utilized, and instead of a typical cast-aluminum nosepiece construction, the Mean Green nosepiece is made from solid aircraft aluminum. The indexable nose provides straight-line engagement, which is more reliable than offset or indirect starter drive-gear engagement. The starter also features 4.4:1 ultra-low gear reduction for powerful starts and is cycled-tested for 35,000 starts. This is three times the torque provided by the 1:1 stock reduction. Another notable feature is the starter's use of bearings instead of bushings, which provides extended operation that's backed by an unconditional two-year warranty.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/0612-4wd-mean-green-starter-alternator/

You'll find the same claim in the Powermaster literature.

Last edited:
If you want to spend that kind of money for a starter, by all means, go for it.

My stock 92 starter is still working just fine. I'm sure I surpassed the 5k starts, lol.

I just see areas of greater importance.

Thanks for the review Jeep Driver, I'm glad you are satisfied with how you spent YOUR money. Sometimes a piece of mind is worth it for critical parts.

Yeah, I'd pass as well.

For that much money, I'd just run a NAPA unit, or try to find one from the company I got one for my 7.3L from (new, not reman'd, updated design, for a little over $100 shipped).

35,000 / 365 = 95.890

95.890 / 10 = 9.5890

Therefore, you could start you're rig 10 times a day, and it will last for ~ 9.5 years.

I've had OEM ones that were 10+ years old and worked just fine still.

As well, I do prefer something from NAPA, or locally if need be, since it is still electrical...and can still fail.

By all means if someone wants to spend $250 on a starter go for it...me...I can think of much better places to spend the funds.

Here's the brand I got for my 7.3L, and if you think guys here are picky...you need to venture into the diesel world.

The company is DB Electrical:

Here's one for an XJ, new not reman'd, $65 shipped:

https://www.amazon.com/DB-Electrica...automotive&vehicleId=9&vehicleType=automotive

The one I installed in my F-350...I've never heard a starter crank so fast. And, if you know the 7.3L and it's use of oil to fire the injectors...you know that is no small feat.

Here's the brand I got for my 7.3L, and if you think guys here are picky...you need to venture into the diesel world.

The company is DB Electrical:

Here's one for an XJ, new not reman'd, $65 shipped:

https://www.amazon.com/DB-Electrica...automotive&vehicleId=9&vehicleType=automotive

The one I installed in my F-350...I've never heard a starter crank so fast. And, if you know the 7.3L and it's use of oil to fire the injectors...you know that is no small feat.

I did ATV repair for about 9 years.
I used DB electrical ALOT.
I didn't know about them when I first started out and would rebuild some folks starters about once per two years.
I started using the DB electrical stuff and they are still in service.
I was fearful of the cheap prices for new stuff but I needed a particular Polaris starter or brush set and no one could source one for me, was turned to this company by someone else in the business and was quite impressed.

I did ATV repair for about 9 years.
I used DB electrical ALOT.
I didn't know about them when I first started out and would rebuild some folks starters about once per two years.
I started using the DB electrical stuff and they are still in service.
I was fearful of the cheap prices for new stuff but I needed a particular Polaris starter or brush set and no one could source one for me, was turned to this company by someone else in the business and was quite impressed.

I was hesitant at first, but when searching one of several forums for the best replacement starter for my f-350, DB electrical kept coming up...and up...and up. Some of the threads were years old, with guys confirming the units still working fantastic.

It was a little hard to believe that I could get a new, not-reman'd unit, that has fantastic reviews and guys raving about them, shipped for less than I can find a reman'd unit locally or online.

As mentioned, the one I got for the F-350 was not only new, but a different and upgraded version. Was probably some of the best $100 I've ever spent on a vehicle.

Back