• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Upgrading 4.5" rough country lift

Tekel!

NAXJA Forum User
I just purchased a new to me XJ. Has a 4.5" Rough country short arm lift with pucks in the front and aal with shackles in the back. My question is, what should I be more worried about replacing first? The spring puck combo up front or the leafs with shackles in the back?

My last XJ, I installed a RE 3.5" superride, so I plan on going with RE 4.5" leafs and haven't decided on front springs yet. I just got it registered and already have an adjustable trackbar with mount and brace to install when I get time. First of the replacement parts will hopefully happen in the spring and the other sometime before next winter.

the AAL will be an issue before the spacers.

id suggest a 3.5" spring and extended shackle over a 4.5" spring. i run RE 3.5" springs, boostwerks shackles, and HDOR shackle relocation brackets. awesome setup as far as leafs go.

2" pucks. I think it was their standard add a leaf 4.5" lift so the pucks and tcase drop were the only additional parts added.

Parts from the kit
Front: shocks, springs, pucks, lower control arms.
Middle: tcase drop
rear: shocks, add a leaf, and shackles.

I'm thinking maybe you have the 3" advanced kit with shackles and spacers added to make it 4.5?
I do agree with the above, leafs first for new parts.
I'll second the 3.5 leafs and extended shackles, everything just works better there.
The track bar you have is needed, good upgrade there.
I'd do brake lines if they aren't extended and add sway bar disco's or make sure they are extended end links if you don't need it disconnectable.

Last edited:
Any particular reason the 3.5" leafs and shackels ar better?

But If that's the case I'm tempted to remove the pucks and shackles and go with just 3.5" or so and sell my 33's and downgrade to 31's. I took it for a drive today for the first time since I purchased it and hit a bump in a corner and ended up in death wobble.

33's look awesome, but I don't actually "need" them for everything I do.

33's fit on 3.5" just fine if you trimmed the fenders. You need to recheck all your fasteners and make sure there is no play in the work you just did causing that death wobble

Any particular reason the 3.5" leafs and shackels ar better?
When leaf springs compress, being that they are arched, they flatten out and the distance from end to end becomes greater, so the shackle end of the spring moves towards the bumper.

Lift springs have more arch so therefore when they compress (flatten) they will have a length that is indeed longer than the stock leaf pack, which is designed to work with the allowable travel of the stock shackle.

An extended shackle will allow for more travel which works better with the more arched spring that will be longer when compressed, everything associated sees a lesser amount of stress and bind as compared to a 4.5 " lift leaf spring used with a stock shackle.

Back