• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New build

LonS99XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I'm getting ready to start a new build and will be modify this XJ a bit more than then old one and will be transferring a lot of parts from the old to the new.

The situation:

A few months ago my 99 was wrecked (t-boned) in the passenger door. Other than that my 99 was perfect. So I came across a 2wd 00 with a decent motor, transmission is throwing some weird codes but no biggie I can use the 99's. Also has some weird electrical issues inside which I have to work through and I have the infamous gauge/cluster not working.

So here is the plan. Gonna swap my axels, transmission, xfercase into the 00. Going to pull both engines. Reseal the 00 engine with gaskets, replace the timing chain, clean up the engine and reinstall. I plan on stroking the 99 engine to replace the 00 engine when needed.

What I also plan on doing is lifting to 6 from 3", installing a long arm kit, 4 link rear suspension w/ coil overs, replacing the rocker panels with 2x6 steel, adding frame stiffeners and body armor.

With all that said, I wondering if anyone has had any experience in what order this should all happen. I was thinking about doing the rocker panels and frame stiffeners first. Then doing the long arm kit, then the 4 link.

Any suggestions?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Few things to consider, in 00 Jeep went with coil on plug, so no distro. There is a mod to swap them. You'll also have 2 cats instead of 1 so if you have emissions you'll have to consider that.

Beyond that moving to the build, I'd agree with what you're planning. Plate up the frame and get rockers put in then keep plugging away.

Few things to consider, in 00 Jeep went with coil on plug, so no distro. There is a mod to swap them. You'll also have 2 cats instead of 1 so if you have emissions you'll have to consider that.

Beyond that moving to the build, I'd agree with what you're planning. Plate up the frame and get rockers put in then keep plugging away.
Yeah already know about the coils and emissions stuff kind of why it was going to be a later addition. But if I remember right the block is the same and the ignition/coil components should drop into the 99 block.

Yeah already know about the coils and emissions stuff kind of why it was going to be a later addition. But if I remember right the block is the same and the ignition/coil components should drop into the 99 block.

If you use the head, or make some little brackets. What casting numbers do you have?

If you use the head, or make some little brackets. What casting numbers do you have?
Not sure what head I have on either yet, haven't really gotten into them yet. I'm hoping I don't have the 0331 on the 00 as I have read they have cracking issues. But to be honest the engine work is lower on the totem pole.

Hmm, I have not heard of this. I'll have to read into it.

It's documented on a few places. I went through something similar to where you are. Had a 93 cracked the unibody and wanted to pull the parts off. So I bought a 01 to swap stuff over. After a lot of research I scratched it and sold the 01 and will by a 99 when I get back to the point. Between the coil on plug, crappy head and emission stuff it wasn't worth it for me to try and swap my engine. It can be done I just want to put that much effort into swapping my engine.

It's documented on a few places. I went through something similar to where you are. Had a 93 cracked the unibody and wanted to pull the parts off. So I bought a 01 to swap stuff over. After a lot of research I scratched it and sold the 01 and will by a 99 when I get back to the point. Between the coil on plug, crappy head and emission stuff it wasn't worth it for me to try and swap my engine. It can be done I just want to put that much effort into swapping my engine.
Yeah, I've already read a few pages about it and watch a couple of videos. Seems interesting enough. But to be honest the engine swap won't take place until the 00 motor goes and I know I have everything right. And if I can't make it work I'll sell it for parts and go buy another XJ.

I'm more interested in getting the frame work done, the suspension set up right and the electrical issues being fixed before I try to tackle the engine swap.

Yeah, I've already read a few pages about it and watch a couple of videos. Seems interesting enough. But to be honest the engine swap won't take place until the 00 motor goes and I know I have everything right. And if I can't make it work I'll sell it for parts and go buy another XJ.

I'm more interested in getting the frame work done, the suspension set up right and the electrical issues being fixed before I try to tackle the engine swap.

No worries, just something to think about.

Have you already been looking into what lift you want to run and such?

No worries, just something to think about.

Have you already been looking into what lift you want to run and such?
Haven't really decided yet. Was thinking about the RC 6.5 with 4 point long arm or maybe the Clayton 6.5 with 3 point long arm.

Personally, I'd ax the RC, better products for the same price are out there. Clayton makes a solid kit just pricey. IRO and Ironmanandy also have some pretty sweet new set ups they just released.

Personally, I'd ax the RC, better products for the same price are out there. Clayton makes a solid kit just pricey. IRO and Ironmanandy also have some pretty sweet new set ups they just released.
Thanks I'll take a look at them

Back