• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best chop saw

moparcyco

NAXJA Forum User
I'm in the market for a chop saw was looking for opinions on what you guys use and think is best not the cheapest. Need to cut 2.5 od 1/2 wall dom and every other size below it. So what does everyone think?

Sounds like a candidate for a band saw.

1/2" wall is going to be a pain with a chop saw. The first third and the last third of each cut will take far longer than you would want.

A horizontal band saw is the right tool for the job.

Perhaps a Port-a-band?

Cutting tubing with a SawzAll is going to be messy and you will spend a ton on blades. Getting a nice clean straight cut is tough.

I was just getting ready to say port-a-band too when I noticed you were cutting DOM. Missed that first go around. That was the reason they made that thing was to cut SC40 pipe no bigger than 4", though. (assuming my father in law didn't just make that up).
Damn, my reading comprehension is off today. You said chop saw too. I'm an idiot. Buy a port-a-band.

Miter saw: CTD

The problem with standard miter saws is that their blade speed is high for use on wood. The high speed will melt a regular metal cutting blade, so you would have to use an abrasive blade. They wander and shatter.

There are metal cutting chop/miter saws that reduce the blade speed drastically, they just cost a lot. I have been wanting HF to come out with one for years.

From someone who has a DeWalt chop saw...

Get a bandsaw.

I got the 4x6 Bandsaw (the red one) from HF.

Right out of the box after I set it up, it was cutting within .005"...threw me for a loop too.

Not that its been a little...abused (fell over in a move a couple time), maybe not quite that :laugh:

It, with a coupon, will cost you about the same as a decent chop saw.

I RARELY use my chop saw anymore. The only time I've used it in the last year, was to cut my 4340 rear Yukon axle shafts down to size for my 14B, since the chop saw blade wasn't going to get through that alloy of steel.

I would cut 1/2" wall DOM any day with my bandsaw over a chopsaw. Set it, walk away, and wait for the piece to drop. Much cleaner cut, won't send crap everywhere, and won't heat harden the ends as you cut it.

Bud I'm with @old_man here. It's best to save up a little and get a band saw instead. Unless your experience in building stuff is pretty tight, I would stick with a band saw.

Let us know how well it works.

Let us know how well it works.

I bit the bullet. I had to send the first one back for two reasons.

First, the fence was cupped. They are not machined as one would expect from a cast iron component. The cup caused it to be impossible to get an accurate miter at the preset stops. Technical support said that they should have a tolerance of 1/2°. Not even close.

Second was that the blade was not ground at 360° true. The blade bit more on one side of the blade than the other. I could feel it and hear it.

They said to send the saw back. Customer service is great.

I ordered a new unit and all is well. First project was 24 pcs of 14ga 1" x 2.5" @ 45° across the 2.5" side. fitment was very good.

I decided to order the stand for the saw. It folds up well, is very adjustable, and the material supports are reversible to accommodate cutting miters. For shorter pieces there is a material stop that works well. I have to mention that I had to request a new infeed support because it was not square, and the welds we questionable. one phone call and I had a new support in a few days.

Chip collection is decent for a portable cold saw. None that I have used are what I would call great.

It is a good saw for the price. I think they could make it better by machining the cast iron fence.

Last edited:
Thank you for the follow up.

Good to know they will at least respond to issues in a meaningful fashion.

Thank you for the follow up.

Good to know they will at least respond to issues in a meaningful fashion.
They don't hold a candle to the CTD I mentioned above. On the other hand they're thousands of dollars cheaper. I would have kept my old (1999-ish) CTD except I just didn't have room. Had a 3-ft by 3 ft footprint. Took two men in a boy to move.

Back