• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SYE Install...In or out of Jeep?

94CountryXJ

NAXJA Forum User
For those of you who have done it. Which would you say is the easier way of doing it? I am leaning towards leaving it bolted in and doing it that way, as this is my DD and will have the weekend to do the SYE and CV install.

I'm glad I took the first one completely out and did it on the bench. That gave me a perfect understanding of how things worked and really wasn't much more work involved. I've done several since that were left in the vehicle. Just remember that you need an impact wrench for the front output yoke.

I did mine in the jeep. If you hold your mouth just right, you dont even need to remove the front yoke or shaft. I removed and installed mine without doing it. This was with installing a new chain, since my old one had stretched a little too much for my liking. If you have never been inside of a Transfer case, you may want to take out and do it on the bench to make the actual re-assembly easier.

Without any experience, you should be able to easily do a SYE kit and CV install in 4-6 hours, assuming you have the proper tools, namely big HD snap ring pliers and a socket/impact for the yoke if you plan on taking it out, and are mechanically inclined.

~James

I would do it in the jeep as well. I can do an SYE in the amount of time it takes to pull a t-case lol. The few I have done I have jacked the back of the jeep up and put it on stands. Then sit cross legged behind the t-case and get to work. It takes me 1-1.5 hours IIRC.

IMO its easier than the t-case bolts and the associated mud that is in that area.

Thats what i was thinking. Though i just crawled under there and discovered it's the NP242 TC. How does this complicate things? I did a search and seemed to find that hardly anyone makes a SYE for the 242?

With a 242 you are pretty much limited to the Hack-n-tap. To my knowledge, you cannot get a beefed up shaft like the 231 can; any kit for the 242 is simply a hack-n-tap that someone else has already done for you. I've been running the HnT on my 242 and its been great. I installed it with the TC in the XJ.

I started with 4" of lift. I have about 5.5" now. No issues.

Last edited:
On my 89 a aye was required at 3", on my dads it was required at 3.5". both 242's, did them in vehicle

If you have the funds available, I'd highly recommend getting the the Tom Wood's 242 SYE kit. Sure it's essentially a H&T done for you, but he sends you a resplined mainshaft along with a yoke that has its outer diameter machined. The yoke itself actually sits inside the rear retainer seal allowing you to get your ouput yoke as short as it can possibly be. Definitely check it out before buying a DIY H&T.

As for the install on a 242, no reason whatsoever to remove the TC from the vehicle. In fact Tom Wood recommends leaving it in place for the 242. There's no need to touch the front driveshaft either. I've never done a 231, but from what I understand the 242 is actually easier. I've never even so much as removed a driveshaft before and I did the whole thing myself in about 4-5 hours. Just make sure you have snap ring pliers that open up to a minimum of 1".

Here's a pic to show you just how close the yoke sits to the rear retainer seal...
conversioncompleted.jpg

Last edited:
A little pricey, but the kit does include a built-to-order double cardan (CV) driveshaft made with top notch u-joints. Shipped out the next day free of charge, though he does charge a $5 packaging fee to cover the shipping materials. Another bonus for me was no CA sales tax. His customer service is excellent as well, I actually had 4 fairly lengthy phone conversations with Tom himself during the looking, purchasing, installing, and driveline angle fixing stages of my install. Overall, I felt it was well worth the $.

They can be had a little cheaper if you shop around.

Back