• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Vacuum Advance Vac Line

90renixxj

NAXJA Forum User
Where does the vac line coming off the distributor vac advance go to? Mine is missing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, is this Jeep injected or carbureted?

The carbureted 2.8 v6 and 2.5 I4 distributors can have vacuum advance, I don't think any xj after 1987 is supposed to have it because the computers are in control.

Sounds like a 4.2 distributor. Would that even be possible???

No vacuum advance, the timing is (normally) controlled by the ECU.

Can you post a picture of the distributor with the cap off?

Can you post a picture of the distributor with the cap off?

The advance is probably locked out.

I am curious to see if the ECU is controlling the advance, or the distributor. The reluctor ring should give me a clue.

I have never worked with any MSD distributor, but I have read about 1320 drivers locking out the centrifugal advance.

On my MSD distributor there's a vac line coming from

On a Renix, that sensor in the factory dizzy has nothing to do with spark or advance.

Just FYI.

It usually an option with performance after market distribors. More so now since computer controlled timing has gotten so prevalent amd cheap

I spent a half-hour googling MSD distributors for a RENIX Jeep, no such critter.

I think I know the answer, but, what happens when the ECU does not have input from the cam sensor?

The distributor is probably for a 4.2 carbureted wrangler

Does it look like this?
3d185c5c2d98ee325e25cb54eddd05de.jpg

Part # 8516

Cruiser54 will know the answer, I suspect the renix can run with out the input from the cam sensor, and the vacuum adjust is locked out or you've been lucky and it hasn't moved.

Back