• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Opened up diff covers, d44 411 rear arb,d30 410r front arb sheared please advise

JonBoy81

NAXJA Forum User
Ok. 91 XJ, d44 rear d30 front, both ARB locked. Bought this way, the rear ring gear is 411, front is 410R. Rear is perfect, front has 2 spots, each with most of 2 teeth broken off. I pulled the covers because the front was seeping some water. Im having trouble posting pictures local to the device without a url. Should I have any concerns if I re-seal, add fluid and wheel? I know its not Ideal, but anyone want to add their 2 cents? Thanks!

If you have two teeth broken, you are driving on borrowed time. If the broken teeth are next to each other, I'm surprised if it lasts a month on the highway.

It's only a matter of time before it either strips the pinion gear and fills every bearing with ground up metal, or it locks up solid. The time to fix it is RIGHT FREAKING NOW!

Go ahead and remove the front driveshaft so if it bad things happen sooner than you think the collateral damage is less than it would be if you left it in.

If you can't afford to redo the gears but you are going to have to drive on the street, I would pull the pumpkin then remove the ring gear and put it back together.

Back