• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Awful Noise

XJason513

NAXJA Forum User
Hello All!

I just purchased a 2001 Jeep Cherokee with a 4.0 and an auto transmission. It apparently just needed an oil pump, which I replaced, but when I took it for a test drive I found another issue.

The engine starts and revs fine in neutral and park, no issues in drive either, but when I rev it in reverse it makes this awful sound. See the video below.

I have been told it could be a cracked / loose flexplate but I wanted to get your opinions. The flexplate doesn't appear to be cracked but I've only examined 1/3 of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4TiMw1K6ew

Thanks!

The flex plate does not know if it is in Drive or Reverse. My guess would be a broken motor mount and the sound would be the fan hitting the radiator.

If it isn't the motor mounts, I would tend to say it is the tranny. I say pull the tranny. If the flex plate is shot, stop at that point and replace it. Otherwise, start looking for a replacement tranny.

Back