• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gearing up for some repairs. Any tips, advice, suggestions.

88trailcrawler

NAXJA Forum User
Water pump is starting to seep. Figured I should knock out a few things at once. Looking for any “while you’re in there” ideas, upgrade opportunities, parts recommendations, tips, etc.

Here is the plan:
Water pump
T-stat
Upper and lower hoses

Add a transmission cooler.

Power steering (it’s seeping from somewhere)
Pump/reservoir/hoses.
Any worthy upgrades?

Timing chain cover gasket (I think it’s my last and only oil leak)
Oil pan gasket - is that required with timing cover?

Looking forward to any suggestions.

Water pump is starting to seep. Figured I should knock out a few things at once. Looking for any “while you’re in there” ideas, upgrade opportunities, parts recommendations, tips, etc.

Here is the plan:
Water pump
T-stat
Upper and lower hoses

Add a transmission cooler.

Power steering (it’s seeping from somewhere)
Pump/reservoir/hoses.
Any worthy upgrades?

Timing chain cover gasket (I think it’s my last and only oil leak)
Oil pan gasket - is that required with timing cover?

Looking forward to any suggestions.

If I remember right you use some RTV between the timing cover and oil pan. If your doing he timing cover check the chain for wear. Not usuly needed to be changed but couldn’t hurt to atleast check it. Belt is easy, check for pully bearings. I’ll post more when I think about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree get everything else done while you have the belt off. That belt is a pain in the butt to get on/off and tensioned. Whoever designed that adjuster should be shot.

Check whether the oil leak up front isn't the seal behind the harmonic balancer. If you pull the HB, get a longer bolt and nut to push it back on. Trying to use the stock bolt to pull it on will rip thread out because it's only going to engage a few threads at first.

Fan clutch upgrade maybe. Your choice on whether to put the trans cooler before the one in the rad or after. Part of the reason to have the one in the rad is to get the tranny up to temp in cold weather. Probably not an issue in SoCal though.

Well crap! Went to the coin op car wash do get all the gunk off for a closer look. Might have gotten the TPS wet. Had to pull the TCU fuse and manually shift it to get home. Checked and cleaned the two TCU connectors by the dipstick. Pulled and cleaned the TPS, couldn’t get it to adjust and snapped a screw!!!

I’ll try new TPS tomorrow.............

Gotta love trying to keep a 30 year old jeep on the road.

Gotta love trying to keep a 30 year old jeep on the road.
I hear you. Mine is 32 years old.... well that is what the title says. By now there are not too many parts left from the original vehicle.

DSCF0016%20%282%29-L.jpg

If you can stand to add it in, the transmission cooler is a good thing. My son-in-law and I did ours about the same time. Anything we can do to extend the life of a nearly 20 year old vehicle is a good thing. The price was relatively inexpensive.

Back