• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ Riddle. Help!

In my experience, a bad CKP on a HO will cause a no-spark/no-start condition, period. The fact that it will start when supplied with an external fuel source seems to rule this out.

I have also seen the cam position sensor/pick-up coil cause problems. On my HO, this was an intermittent problem caused by the coil getting soaked by oil and other sorts of crud coming through, I suspect, of all things, the hole in the bottom of the distributor for the installation locking pin (which, IMO, is completely unnecessary.) I caught this problem before it caused a no-start problem, but the syptoms were similar to a bad fuel pump- hard starting, running rough, dying at idle, etc.

As far as the fuel pump goes, I have seen HO pumps create pressures well below the factory-spec 49 PSI and still run. I think when I threw a rented pressure gauge from the parts store on mine, it was reading something like 39 or 35 PSI at idle and would drop when the throttle was snapped. I still replaced it later anyways though...

As others have pointed out, there is a common power wire for the fuel injectors (dark green and orange according to my manual.) The fuel injectors themselves are cycled by the PCM completing or opening the ground circuit for the individual fuel injectors.

As others have also pointed out, the power for the injectors comes through the ASD relay. I think the simplest thing to do is to check for power at a fuel injector connector with the key in the on position. If power isn't present, the next simplest thing to do would be to check fuse 15 (which supplies the ASD relay with power.) If that's okay, it's time to check the connection between the fuse and the ASD relay. If that checks out, then it would be time to test the relay and the connection between it and the fuel injectors, as well as the ingnition switch/PCM.

Back