• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

LED back up lights

mjdriver

NAXJA Member #1376
My wifes ZJ has poor back up lights So I was thinking a trick fix for this would be to cut a hole in the plastic bumper and put a set of led reverse lights in and just have them pigtailed off the regular back lights.
If my thinking is correct LED's put out more light at less of a draw, so pigtailing off the other lights should be problem right?

I would tend to agree pigtailing should be OK. However, unless LED's have a real nice reflector, my experience (mainly with LED flashlights) is they aren't going to concentrate a lot of light anywhere in particular. They'll blind you to look at them but the light seems to poop out kind of quick. I'd temporarly mount them to the bumper & use a battery or some such to power them and see if I like the look before I started cutting the bumper up.

Not that it will matter in your'e case since they will be "Extra" lights, not replacements, but L.E.D.'s don't melt snow. That may or may not be a problem where you live, but where I live, after a couple of hours on the highway, those lights just disappear. Not the greatest thing when driving during the dark hours. You want them running to be visible to the yahoo drunk behind you. Not to mention just driving around town and not having others see your turn signals. Don't even get me started on back-up lights...

Back