• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

When you jump a Jeep Cherokee

fdsa487

NAXJA Forum User
Ok well you know how in magazines and on tv you see the dudes with their pre-runner Ford Rangers and Tacomas jumping all the time. Their trucks are built to do that. Since i have gotten into the whole XJ thing i have seen a ton of pictures of XJ's, most just slighly modified but people jump them.

Are XJ just tough like that because of the solid axel front? They take take a jump and land and nothing break?

Also if someone was to jump their Jeep and did not have limit straps to limit the travel what is the first thing that is going to limit the down travel??? The shocks? :us:

fdsa487 said:
Ok well you know how in magazines and on tv you see the dudes with their pre-runner Ford Rangers and Tacomas jumping all the time. Their trucks are built to do that. Since i have gotten into the whole XJ thing i have seen a ton of pictures of XJ's, most just slighly modified but people jump them.

Are XJ just tough like that because of the solid axel front? They take take a jump and land and nothing break?

Also if someone was to jump their Jeep and did not have limit straps to limit the travel what is the first thing that is going to limit the down travel??? The shocks? :us:

THey jump... then they break. Look at jeepspeed rigs and how they are stiffeened up to survive. If anything you'd want to at the very least truss the axles, then you'd wantto do some frame stiffening, and make sure that your shocks and bumpstops are the right travel so that you don't punch them out. Then examine your body for cracks :D
Anyways, I work with someone who jumps his ranger fairly often and I how his truck changes. I don't think it has too much life left in it if he keeps jumping it like that.

Ok so they Jump then they break. I just, for some reason, though that Jeeps could take it better because of the fact that they dont have independent suspension. Less moving parts. But these two pictues below the two jeeps look pretty close to stock, besides the lift, and they are jumping. Crazy! :wierd:

Jump2.bmp

Jump1.jpg

If you actually read the prerunner forums, you'll see that they have a common saying about jumping their rigs. It costs about $300 per jump.

Besides, you can't look at what magazine guys do, they're always going for the good pics.....that's why they do it.

fdsa487 said:
Ok so they Jump then they break. I just, for some reason, though that Jeeps could take it better because of the fact that they dont have independent suspension. Less moving parts. But these two pictues below the two jeeps look pretty close to stock, besides the lift, and they are jumping. Crazy! :wierd:

You've got it very much backward.

A properly set up IFS rig will smoke a solid axle rig in fast stuff/jumping.

picture.JPG

picture.JPG

Yummy!

CRASH said:
You've got it very much backward.

A properly set up IFS rig will smoke a solid axle rig in fast stuff/jumping.

Yummy!

No i totally know that independet is the way to go for jumping i just thought that for cheap(er) you could probably make a solid axel jump w/o breakage than an independed suspension vehicle.

fdsa487 said:
No i totally know that independet is the way to go for jumping i just thought that for cheap(er) you could probably make a solid axel jump w/o breakage than an independed suspension vehicle.
Have you ever seen a solid axle with the wheels being crooked and pointing in the wrong direction? When you land on the IFS the sides since they travel independently are better at absorbing the shock. With the solid axle you land on the whole thing and risk damage to the housing.

Seen the whole axle housing snap right in half from jumping a D30. If you want to do some serious jumping then you need to upgrade a BUNCH and stiffen the unibody. Those things crack and break from minor offroading.

WobblesXJ said:
Seen the whole axle housing snap right in half from jumping a D30. If you want to do some serious jumping then you need to upgrade a BUNCH and stiffen the unibody. Those things crack and break from minor offroading.

The unibody's crack and break or the D30's? :us:

VegasAnthony said:
whats the diffrence ??

these well educated folks are tellin ya if youi want to jump a vehicle
DONT USE A SOLID FRONT AXLE :exclamati

I dont want to jump, i would never jump my jeep. I was just curious why i see so many pictures and wondering if jeeps held up well when jumping. Thanks.

dana 30's break very easily when jumped, the ball joints are pretty tiny. Hell one of the local guys bent a D44 front axle he had under his XJ jumping it.

I still dont understand why some of the jeep speed guys run a 4x4 setup, I cant fathom why you'd mess with all that extra weight and rotating mass. The only reason I can think of it is because jeepspeed wont let you put a custom I beam front in.

Really though, jumping your XJ is lame. If you want to jump it, buy a yota. Dont get me wrong, you can spend bank, do it right and build a rig that will take a beating. There was a Score XJ buggy/truck that was in JP mag a year or two back that was simply amazing. That thing was jsut freaking tits. It won Score events, i can only imagine what it would do to those handicapped jeepspeed XJ's

They bend alright after jumps. In the late 80's as a Marine we went to Yuma AZ all the time and I drove a XJ. Dont remember the year it was, do remember it had the 2.8L V6. Playing on some sand bars by the river and I jumped it a lot and big. It actually did good until the real biggie when I managed to land uneven and hit the passenger side tire first. Bent the axle housing pretty good. Still was able to drive it for the two weeks more we were there and all the way to Riverside Cali and until I could afford to get it repaired. *grin* My passenger seat didn't do too good either. The passenger freaked and shoved backwards on the dash and managed to almost turn that seat into a full lay down flat seat.

Sarge

Sarge said:
They bend alright after jumps. In the late 80's as a Marine we went to Yuma AZ all the time and I drove a XJ. Dont remember the year it was, do remember it had the 2.8L V6. Playing on some sand bars by the river and I jumped it a lot and big. It actually did good until the real biggie when I managed to land uneven and hit the passenger side tire first. Bent the axle housing pretty good. Still was able to drive it for the two weeks more we were there and all the way to Riverside Cali and until I could afford to get it repaired. *grin* My passenger seat didn't do too good either. The passenger freaked and shoved backwards on the dash and managed to almost turn that seat into a full lay down flat seat.

Sarge

That's funny!!!:chef:

Does anyone agree or am i totally wrong to say:

Say you have a 2000 Ranger 4.0L EX cab they have independent A-arm suspension
and you have a 2000 XJ 4.0L 4 door.
BOTH STOCK

Do you think if you we're given 2K dollars to make both vehicles jumpable that the Jeep would last longer w/o breaking or the Ranger would? =)

that depends on you... If you have the ability to do the design/fab yourself then $2k buys an ass load of materials. If you're pretty good with a wrench then $2k buys some decent slap-on kits. Otherwise I've got a WICKED set of titanium muffler bearings that'll get you TWICE the air! You could do it with either but the ranger will have the advantage in speed/jumping.

Well if you said Yota, i' would have put my money on the yota...

but you said ranger...and well fords are teh suck!

with 2k and a mid 80's yota you can have a pretty damn sweet runner. My buddy has about 4 into his and its freaking nuts how well that thing does.

With my 2k i'd buy a set of used uni-ball arms, some plate steel to build shackles out back, some longer leaves and springs and some 5150's (7100's if I have enough left over)

That setup would destroy ANYTHING you could do to a XJ.

I've said it before, if you are looking for bang for your buck, yota is the way to go. Be it rock crawling, pre running or flyin throug the air.

This is me being stupid a few years ago:

jasonlaunch.jpg
jasonlvl.jpg
jasonlands.jpg

Result was 3 bent fenders, bent D30 axle housing, bent the sheet metal at the driver-side front upper shock mount, and a permanent twist in my unibody. All in all I figure I've blown close to $6k as a result of that stunt. But hey, I got some cool pics and a video from it. :rolleyes:

wheelie.jpg

fdsa487 said:

Jump1.jpg
That is mine. I jumped it about 4 ft off the ground on that one. I was worried about cracking the "frame" or breaking a shaft but i didnt. I have no frame stiffeners or aftermarket shafts. I have the d30/ 27 spline 8.25 combo. mainly stupid but a lot of fun. i did this atleast 7 times through out the week. If you start planning on doing it alot, i would suggest strengthening alot. I may have tweaked my frame a bit.

Back