• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Torque Converter rattle?

AussieXJ

NAXJA Forum User
At idle I have a metallic rattling coming from what I guess is the torque converter housing. The rattle dissappears when I raise the revs, the vehicle is moving.

I traced the noise with a length of hose as a stethiscope and it is definately coming from the front of the tranny. There looks to be a flat metal dust cover over that area. Is this cover removeable for inspection or do I have to pull the tranny?

Any thoughts on what could possibly be "loose" to cause this rattle would be appreciated.

:)

Phil

AussieXJ said:
At idle I have a metallic rattling coming from what I guess is the torque converter housing. The rattle dissappears when I raise the revs, the vehicle is moving.

I traced the noise with a length of hose as a stethiscope and it is definately coming from the front of the tranny. There looks to be a flat metal dust cover over that area. Is this cover removeable for inspection or do I have to pull the tranny?

Any thoughts on what could possibly be "loose" to cause this rattle would be appreciated.

Phil

Cat Converter?

My cover is loose.. and the insides are toast... rattles at idle sometimes..

the other thing to check is see if your tranny mount has collapsed... if it has your exhaust pipe is resting on the cross member.

You might check to see if the bolts that hold the torque converter to the the flex plate (the auto trans version of a flywheel) are tight. I have heard of these coming loose.

These can be accessed by removing the sheet metal cover on the front bottom portion of the bellhousing.

Thanks guys. I appreciate the suggestions. I'll let you know what I find.

don't forget that cover is two pieces upper/lower trust me i know from experience with my trannie last week (refer to rear main seal thread)

It is also possible that the flex plate has cracked around the hub. I am in the process of finishing a flex plate replacement on an '88 for that very reason. It was very noisy and once I got the old one out I was surprised it hadn't sheared off completely.

Hello,

I just bought an 87 XJ with 236k miles on it and it runs great in every way. I'm just experiencing what AussieXJ described. It only happens for me when I put it gear. There is no rattle when in park or nuetral. I'm interested if Aussie ever found what exactly caused his problem. Im going to check the things the others suggested and I'll get back to you.

If the flex plate is cracked, you hear the noise in neutral and it gets quieter when put in gear. Remove the lower inspection plate and check to be sure the bolts holding the torque converter to the flex plate are tight.

I took that inspection cover off and all the bolts are tight. I had another listen with that cover off and my guess is that there is something loose inside the torque converter that is bouncing around at low rpm. At higher rpm it sticks to the sides and I don't hear it. Like I said, the tranny seems solid and shifts perfect. I just don't want it to break down in the middle of nowhere. I'll probably take her down to the local tranny place.

I'm putting my money 2-1 on Eagle. I have a flex plate with the center sheared completely through but it didn't fall apart, still hasn't. Way I found out was I put a large screwdriver to the ring gear using the edge of the bell housing as a pry point. Was really astonishing to see the ring gear move and the crank sit still for about 20 degrees of rotation. You should try this in both directions.

Back