• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1/4 elliptical front

Inisadow

NAXJA Forum User
I have searched and searched and I am interested in why no one has done a quarter elliptical front suspension.

Inisadow said:
I have searched and searched and I am interested in why no one has done a quarter elliptical front suspension.

I think they've been done before, but if you mean on an XJ or MJ it's probably due to the fact that it's much easier to stick with the OEM coil/link setup (or a modified coil/link deal.)

Where is one gonna hang the thick end of those quarter elliptic springs? I'm not saying it's impossible, but this setup lends itself to vehicles with a real 'frame'

JMHO

Woody

I think mostly there is no good reason to do it.

You would need long arms with a subframe similar to the RockReady setup in order to do it, and then there is still no real advantage to just sticking with the coils.
You actually see very few 1/4 elipticals in front end use at all simply because they flex TOO easy. It's hard to maintain good steering and braking with them.

Chris S said:
I think mostly there is no good reason to do it.

You would need long arms with a subframe similar to the RockReady setup in order to do it, and then there is still no real advantage to just sticking with the coils.
You actually see very few 1/4 elipticals in front end use at all simply because they flex TOO easy. It's hard to maintain good steering and braking with them.
i agree. the only one i have ever seen was on a samurai and it rode like a waterbed, flexed like crazy, but was a total trailer queen bordering on dangerous anywhere but a really rocky trail. my 2 cents: they are better relegated to the rear of a vehicle, they seem to work better when trailing rather than leading. then again, i have only seen one. i still wanna build one for the rear of an xj to make the departure angle 90*. that way the H2 can kiss my backside....

Back