• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Auto Darkening Helmet

JasonXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have definately decided on either a
Millermatic 175 -or-
Hobart Handler 180

based on many good suggestions around the board.

apparently the only reason to go to the Millermatic for 100 bucks more is infinite adjustment on the current.

Now for a autodarkening helmet.

On EBAY I see:
$40 variable shade solar powerd - I am assuming is cr@p
$85 10 shade Hobart

How much should I spend, and do I need variable shade?

Thanks

OK, I see the Hornell "Utility" for about $130-140. I can stomach that since it is a quality helmet.

Is shade 10 enough, or am I going to want darker?

I bought a Miller 175 off ebay and got an autodarkening Hobart helmet for about $35 as part of the deal.

Most places either feature the cart or a helmet as part of a package.

I am very pleased with the Hobart i got.

JasonXJ said:
OK, I see the Hornell "Utility" for about $130-140. I can stomach that since it is a quality helmet.

Is shade 10 enough, or am I going to want darker?

I think a 10 is enough, but everyone has their own opinion. If it's not then you can always wear calobars under it, which, depending on who you talk to, you should do anyway.

I also had to choose between the Miller and Hobart about six months ago for a welder for my body shop, went with the Hobart 175 ,been using it often and couldn't be happier and the heat adjustment is fine,doesn't feel like a compromise at all.Got a good deal at Tractor Supply.Getting a 220 volt is the main thing.I am sure the 180 handler would be even better than the 175! Jus my 2 cents

After much research into this issue, I bought a "Western Safety" helmet from Harbor Freight for $60 on sale (regular price $120). It meets all the same ANSI and OSHA standards as the more expensive helmets and it darkens in 1/25,000th of a second, which is as fast as the $200 helmets.

It is a little flimsy, so I would definitely not recommend it to someone who welds for a living, or even someone who is a "hobbyist," but really does a lot of welding. For me, though, it has been great. I really like having an auto darkening helmet and I never would have gotten one if the only option was one of the $175+ helmets.

It is a little flimsy, so I would definitely not recommend it to someone who welds for a living, or even someone who is a "hobbyist,"

Did you happen to see the American chopper when he did the Miller bike, he cut apart a helmet with regular scissors. Who wants to weld all day with an absurdly heavy helmet.

Back