• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Possible drive train noise after lift (pics)

Dazz

NAXJA Forum User
I just finish my 3" lift (possibly 4.5 @ rear") yesterday and took the XJ out for a test drive. As I was breaking, I hear a loud clunking sound then would disappear as I accelerate. It's also heard when making turns at slower speeds (not to noticeable or loud as breaking.)

The noise is only present during breaking and at the rear drive shaft I assume.

The rear lift consists of:
Rough Country Add a leaf (half leaf), and lift blocks.

fc401d55.jpg

Could the drive shaft angle be out of whack with the TC?
How can one resolve this issue (leaf shims or TC lowering kit?)

fc4021c2.jpg

TIA!

Your driveshaft is about to fall out!On acceleration it wraps up and your gaining length.Upon breaking it reverses,your last pic says it all.

What would be the best way to remedy this problem?

thx RCP Phx!

Well, for one I'd get rid of the blocks and replace them with a longer shackle... Lift blocks will ussually cause premature sagging in a stock lift pack (even one augmented by an AAL) as well as they will cause axle wrap, which is what it sounds like you have....

Also you might have to get a new shaft, but first..... out with the blocks :)

Kejtar

I had the same noise. I did a 1" t-case drop and no more noise. What happens is when you brake the rear of your rig lifts up causing an even steeper drive line angle. If you look real close at the front joint you will see where it is hitting.

Nice Tyres.
Those are the things on yer car that make contact with the road.
:next:

Last edited:
Lift block removed and TC lowering kit on order from Rusty's!
I notice a decrease in the clunking noise with the blocks removed.

Hope fully with the tC kit, the d/s should re-align back to normal.

Lift Blocks = (n) :flamemad:

I would still pull the driveshaft and check to see how much engagement you have.By your photo it didnt lok like much!

Back