• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weird Shifting issue

Clearwater Ken

NAXJA Forum User
Hello gents,

1987 XJ, with AW4

Been a while since I posted up on the RaD shifter I installed last year. So far the thing has been in use for just at a year and could not be happier especially in the mountains of Northern Idaho. having low gearing at my control is amazing in the snow especially.

Recently have run into a weird issue. When I have the Manual RaD shifted off, and in auto, sometimes, when I accelerate the engine revs to accelerate then lets off the fuel, and does this similar like when you try to start from a stop in 5 gear, it boggs and kinda sputters shifting back and forth back and forth, press on the gas it tries to shift and stops repeatedly as long as I am on the gas.

I thought it might be the TPS so I had it tested and all came back stellar. Cleaned the Throttle body everything I could come up with and to no avail.

Here is the strange thing, when this happens and I turn the RaD shifter on, she runs like a champ when I manually shift her.

Did have the main power cable to solenoid ground out after rubbing on engine mounts, cable actually caught on fire, yea good times. Replaced and insulated all the power cabled but does this sound like I might have fried my Renix ECM?

Much appreciated all and thanks in advance,
Ken

So, you adjusted your TPS correctly then?

Well....

I took it to a good mechanic, " live in rural north Idaho, options limited" This Mechanic has a XJ and has been a good dude to date but tested the TPS and said all checked out. I am no mechanic so I pay people to do it right, covered by warranty lol. Wish I was a mechanic but know my limitations amigo. If its simple in the chilton, I got it other wise I pay amigo.

Well....

I took it to a good mechanic, " live in rural north Idaho, options limited" This Mechanic has a XJ and has been a good dude to date but tested the TPS and said all checked out. I am no mechanic so I pay people to do it right, covered by warranty lol. Wish I was a mechanic but know my limitations amigo. If its simple in the chilton, I got it other wise I pay amigo.

Back