• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone ever replaced the window mechanism?

xaruum

NAXJA Forum User
I ended up selling my xj to a family friend.

There were originally 3 of the 4 windows cranks, but she somehow lost 2 of them and went against my advice and decided to use pliers instead of getting replacements.

All of the splines are now completely ripped off of the stub that the cranks connect to. Does anyone know if I have to pick up whole new doors? Or can I just pull that crank/gear assembly from a donor at the pick-a-part?

You should be able to either pull donor cranks from a junkyard or pick up NOS parts from someplace like TeamCherokee. The biggest issue you are likely going to run into in getting either the damaged ones out or donor ones out is that (at least on some years) they used steel rivets to attach everything so you're going to need a drill and some good sharp bits (I think I used 3/16" or 1/4"). You definitely do not need new doors.

I just did my 89's passenger side for the same reason. Drill out the rivets and replace with bolts and nuts. It was cheaper for me to buy off ebay then go "junkin" for a replacement. I also replaced the window channel runs and window seals, it made a huge difference in how easy they crank up and down.

Back