• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ignition Switch Key Lock Problem

olharybast

NAXJA Forum User
My ignition switch key lock is binding up while turning to the off position and sometimes will not turn the engine over. I have an 88 XJ with a tilt wheel. Is there a trick to change out the key switch without removing the steering wheel and guts out of the column? The Haynes book is absolutely no help!

You have to take off the steering wheel. To make the job alot easier, you should borrrow/rent/buy a steering wheel puller and a lockplate removal tool (both cost about $10 each). There should be an instruction sheet packed in the new cylinder that is fairly adequate to show you how to remove the cylinder. Basically, once the wheel and lockplate are off, there's one set-screw that you need to take out and the cylinder pulls right out.
Jeff

IIRC ... a dent puller screwed into the keyhole will permanently remove the problem. :D

OR you will need a steering wheel puller to get to the cylinder underneath. I don't have the FSM here, and I don't recall if you have to use the lock plate remover tool to go further. Once in you can determine if it is a worn out die cast lock cylinder, which is common. The switch it works with is also connected to the neutral safety and shift interlock - don't adjust things unless they need it!

The Chilton did help a little until I discovered the pictures out of order. :mad: CD still offers the Factory manual for the '90 and it's worth every penny. A two volume set with 1100 + pages!

Jeff - thanks for a clearer explanation - and faster posting!

I don't know if you have a 2-key vehicle like my '85, or a single key like later models.

If single key, you can take the new cylinder to a locksmith prior to installation, and have it re-keyed to match the door/hatch cylinders.

Back