• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'99 into '00 Engine swap 4.0 auto 4x4

00XJ216

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all, new here and have a question. My 2000 Cherokee needs an engine. Its an auto and 4x4. I have a 1999 parts XJ that was my daily up til about 3 years ago. Alot of parts have been taken from it but the drive train is still there. Its a high mile engine that ran when parked. Some things under the hood are gone like radiator, hoses, thermostat housing, condensor, compressor, header panel, etc. Its an ugly looking engine from sitting. My question is, what are my chances of pulling it, cleaning it and dropping it in my 2000? I realize there are slight mods for ignition and coil pack and exhaust. Its a 4.0 and had great oil pressure and ran good.
I would like to hear some thoughts on this because I need an inexpensive fix for my driver.

Thanks!

head is different because of the dual pre cat exhaust manifolds, they will not bolt up to the 99 head

also i believe the cam is different, so if you were to use an exhaust adapter it may throw a code ( my theory not researched) not sure how strict ohio is with emission testing but it may pose a problem.

you could get a re-manufactured or new TUPY head and install it to the 99, i would also do cam and lifters at least, but make sure you get it for a 2000 not a 99.

other than that i would not forsee any issues.

head is different because of the dual pre cat exhaust manifolds, they will not bolt up to the 99 head

also i believe the cam is different, so if you were to use an exhaust adapter it may throw a code ( my theory not researched) not sure how strict ohio is with emission testing but it may pose a problem.

you could get a re-manufactured or new TUPY head and install it to the 99, i would also do cam and lifters at least, but make sure you get it for a 2000 not a 99.

other than that i would not forsee any issues.

Both of my 2000's do not have pre-cats(Fed version), and my original 2000 now runs a 2000/1998 head with a 98 Revolver header.

It also runs a 98 Comp cam as not much is available for the 2k!

You can also use an adapter plate to mate your 99 head to your 00 exhaust manifold -- it's easy to do

Your options really depend on if you have Cali or federal emmisions and how strict your state is

Any 1990-2001 XJ Cherokee or 1993-98 ZJ Grand Cherokee 4.0L engine block will interchange.

Remove and re-use as needed or required from your original engine: Intake/Exhaust manifolds, flex plate/flywheel, cylinder head, distributor-less ignition or distributor assembly, engine sensors, motor mounts, fan belt driven accessories and/or mounting brackets.

For a 2000-01 you should install a good used 0331 TUPY crack resistant head.

I had a 93 and a 01. Wanted to swap the 93 engine to the 01. After researching I decided to scrap the idea because of the amount of parts that simply wouldn't drop in. It can be done but was more work than what I wanted to put in plus, I did not like the Coil on plug system or the emission stuff.

Back