• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OEM XJ Leafs; Standard or Heavy Duty?

RAVC1

NAXJA Forum User
I have found some information regarding this topic in searching, but very little.

One of the primary leaves broke on my 1989 and I need to get a good used set or new. My recent 4WD.com Cherokee catalog shows some Crown Standard or Heavy Duty leaf packs.

Which models & which model year XJ's had Heavy Duty leaf packs? Does anyone know the properties of these two XJ leaf packs?

Thanks,

Rick

RAVC1 said:
Which models & which model year XJ's had Heavy Duty leaf packs? Does anyone know the properties of these two XJ leaf packs?

Off the top of my head, I can't give you spec differences - but, from experience, my gut is telling me that you should go with the Heavy-Duty springs. IIRC, they were offered as a couple of different types of options in all years - standard-height or Up-Country, the latter giving about an inch of lift over stock.

XJs are notorious for spring sag on the factory springs, particularly at the rear. My 2001 was seriously tail-down 10,000 miles after I bought it with 75,000 on the clock; the 2000 that replaced it with the Up-Country suspension was still decent (though not great) at 102,000-ish.

Long-term, it makes sense to go with the HD springs - expect a longer life from them.

BombThreat said:
Going with HD though does it hurt the ride comfort?

If your shocks and springs are already shot, anything will be an improvement.

Seriously, though, I preferred the ride and handling of the 2000 (while stock) with the Up-Country suspension over the 2001 with the standard setup. The 2000 was slightly stiffer, but not in an uncomfortable way - more that it gave slightly less wallow and better controllability.

As for how this compares to the aftermarket items we're talking about here, I have no idea.

Thanks for the insight, im going to make another thread seeing if anyone knows of qualitiy places that make stock height spring and leafs....b/c while i need a new suspention badly I'd rather p/u something that i think will last a while and hopefully provide a better ride then stock.

X2. Up-Country springs are great. They give a better ride in my mind over the standard ones.

Well,

I ordered the Crown HD leaves from 4WD.com this evening. Most local parts stores or spring shops could only source the standard leaf packs and these are wimpy. The only exception to this might be Detroit/Eaton Spring. However, they $429/pair!

I'll let you know how they ride when I get my S-10 hybrid leaves built!

Thanks for your responses,

Rick

I'm not sure if this is correct or not because I can't find any info on it right now, but I remember reading somewhere that Chrysler issued a TSB for the Up Country springs because of wobble. Needed a transfer case lowering kit. Can anybody confirm/deny this?

JoshRountree said:
I'm not sure if this is correct or not because I can't find any info on it right now, but I remember reading somewhere that Chrysler issued a TSB for the Up Country springs because of wobble. Needed a transfer case lowering kit. Can anybody confirm/deny this?
I believe I heard something about that also. I know when we put Upcountry springs on my bro's 01 XJ it vibrated like a sombitch until we put a transfer case drop on it. Unlike the older XJs that can take sometimes 4.5" of lift without vibes the new ones only can do about 0.5" apparently.

Back