• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

double cardan joint on rear shaft?

XJguy

NAXJA Forum User
Can I use the cardan joint from the front shaft on the rear shaft to allow for higher angles (92 NP 242)?

I currently have no vibes at 5.5" but my hasty 35" tire purchase will require more lift and $$$$ :(

XJguy

That's what I have on my rear shaft.

If you have an SYE with the same type of yoke you can use it. My front and rear shafts are within one inch of being the same length, so I carry a front driveline as a spare for both.

with an SYE. Didn't want to have to change it all later so did it whole hog 1st time.

No SYE, stock shaft.

I want to add the cardan joint to the stock rear shaft rather than buy a whole new one.

XJguy

That is what I have been running with about 5.75" of lift. I couldn't afford a sye at the time of lift so I have been "limping" it on a cv added to my stock driveline. I still have vibrations over 60 mph but belive this to be due to angles (I have 4 degree shims in now, going to 6 degree soon). I also need to adress my spring wrap issues, but haven't completely decided how I would like to do that. I have never spit a driveline, but I am also in bad need of some longer shocks...hope this helps

Sounds good, thanks. I couldnt remember if the u-joints were the same size for the front and rear shafts. Anyone have a spare cardan joint?

XJguy

Back