• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

unibody strengtheners??

I'llpullyaout

NAXJA Forum User
what kind of supports/steel can i make or weld to the "frame" of my XJ to help it out?? I'm gettin the cracks above the doors and under the top corners of the hood. HEEEELP!!

not sure what you want to use specifically but use the rear-most LCA bolt and the front leaf-spring bolt as anchor points too. that will tighten up the chassis a lot.

3"x3" angle iron

Hey, I always wondered if anyone has tried some how directly connecting the frame rails together(not just the trany cross mount), making it "more like" a actual frame?
Couldnt this help some how?

You mean like an MJ back under the bed area?

No, I don't think that you can just cut off the rear of an MJ and mount it under the XJ. The bellies are very different in this area on the two trucks. However, you might try looking under different types of trucks for ideas that would work. I am just adding some "box" x-members under my '88 limited to make it stiffer in the rear, and give a better place to mount the rear shocks. I am making them out of 2" sq. tubing. I am placing one in the back, and the other is going right behind the "step" under the rear seat.

C85D4x4 said:
Hey, I always wondered if anyone has tried some how directly connecting the frame rails together(not just the trany cross mount), making it "more like" a actual frame?
Couldnt this help some how?
I welded in a cross member between my sleeved frame rails so I could mount my traction bar to...
standard.jpg

standard.jpg

well, I know that's how Dirk always sets his up, but the west coasters on here seem fanatic about having them above the bottom of the axle tube so they dont' get hung up on stuff. I've still got to cut out my brackets and make my tractionbar, so I'm still kinda finalizing designs. Right now the brackets I'm planning would have the lowest point about a half inch below the axle tube (would look a lot like the traction bar bracket kit from M.O.R.E.), but that puts the upper bar pretty close to the floor pan.

Jeepin Jason said:
Hey Alex, do you forsee any issues having the traction bar hang down that low under the axle tube?
Jeepin Jason said:
well, I know that's how Dirk always sets his up, but the west coasters on here seem fanatic about having them above the bottom of the axle tube so they dont' get hung up on stuff.
I would not have it any higher. It helps protect the drive shaft & u-joints. You can get hung up on anything, I would rather the traction bar take a hit than the drive shaft (and mine already has).
standard.jpg

Jeepin Jason said:
but that puts the upper bar pretty close to the floor pan.
Just cut the floor.
standard.jpg

Back