• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

IslanderOffRoad's Axle Swap Thread

IslanderOffRoad

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I woke up yesterday morning intending to install an Aussie Locker in my D30. Checked Facebook first, found some interesting axles for a good price on a local Jeep Group, and well, picked them up today.

Front: TJ Rubicon Dana 44 with Chromoly shafts, 4.56 Gears and an ARB Air Locker

Rear: Ford Explorer 8.8", Disc Brakes, 4.56 gears, and an ARB air locker.

2DB65F92-F667-48BB-A186-3798A18B3714_zpsbo089w9m.jpg

A2F1F73B-790A-405A-8F64-2B55E1401383_zpsls3govyt.jpg

The trusses installed are not what I would have done, and he cut the front drivers side CA mount and put on a mount at the wrong angle, but overall the axles are in good shape.

Plan is to cut the trusses back off, then do the following:

Front:
TNT customs front truss with the CA brackets and coil buckets
Gusset the C's
New ball joints
Use my existing knuckles/unit bearings/calipers
Black Magic brake pads/rotors

Rear
Simple swap 8.8 kit from Ruffstuff
Weld the tubes
Black Magic Pads/Rotors

And of course the compressor and switches to run the ARB's. And repainting those covers.. green isn't my thing.

Any different parts I should be looking at other than the TNT/Ruffstuff swap kits? Anything I'm not thinking of that I'm gonna want to change or do differently?

Get WJ stuff now.

Get WJ stuff now.

Brakes/knuckles? Thinking about it.

If I did a wj swap I'd really like to just use wj unit bearings to be 5x5, but haven't found much info on if that works

Why do you want 5x5? Just do what's proven and run spacers if you really feel the need. Which you will likely need if you plan on running 15" rims

Why do you want 5x5? Just do what's proven and run spacers if you really feel the need. Which you will likely need if you plan on running 15" rims

I'm running jk rubicon rims.

Just figured swapping something from 5x5 to 5x4.5 just to throw an adapter on to get back to 5x5 didn't make sense

Because of the backspacing of the JK wheels you would need a spacer/adapter anyways.

Let me do some maths and I'll get back to you.

Right at a grand would be the absolute minimum.

last time i was at LKQ off alt90 they had a couple WJ's with complete front ends. its unknown condition junkyard parts, but it would likely be far below a grand for the parts.

last time i was at LKQ off alt90 they had a couple WJ's with complete front ends. its unknown condition junkyard parts, but it would likely be far below a grand for the parts.

That's what I told my wife. There's a lot of "nickel and dime" parts though. I got my knuckles and "core charge" calipers for $80. The rest you have to buy new. I did spend more on black magic brakes. I also recouped some of the costs by selling the JKS stuff I already had that I wasn't going to need anymore.

Those parts aren't what worry me cost-wise. If that were it, done, I'm in.

Looking at, for example the stinkyfab kit, getting all the non oem parts adds up fast. Not saying their kit isn't worth it, I think it is for the simplicity it adds on this swap, but even that plus the oem pieces from a yard/ at cost from work get me to about a grand

My thought is take your time swapping in the axle's until you are ready to do the WJ at the same time.

Where do you work?

My thought is take your time swapping in the axle's until you are ready to do the WJ at the same time.

Where do you work?

Corporate office for a large dealer group

I would be close to $800 if I didn't get the Black Magic brakes and instead got the cheapest rotors and pads that a parts store carries.

Bumping this as I'm finally getting in a position to actually do something with these

Front is getting a tnt truss, but I'm thinking about the rear again.

Any reason I shouldn't keep the truss that's on their, assuming it clears everything?

Back