• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OTK WJ knuckle swap. What could go wrong?

travisk

NAXJA Forum User
I'm about to start this swap so I figured I'd let you watch this mess unfold. If you see me about to do something stupid, please let me know.

Here are the parts that I've acquired over the last few months.

image-219.jpg

My parts list (Google Doc)

wj_knuckle_swap_parts_list.JPG

Started by baking the knuckles in the oven at 500 degrees for two hours, then ran them over to my buddy's shop so he could weld on the flanges. They were cooled in a bucket of sand for several hours.

normal_image~220.jpg

This is all I have so far. Once I pull the axle off I won't be able to drive my jeep until it's all done, so I'm hesitating.

normal_image~221.jpg

The bolts that hold the caliper mount to the knuckle are one time use and special.

Order up at least 2 sets of them. Rock auto is usually best price.

Make sure when you are making your steering arms that you note not only to have a left and right hand thread weld bung on each tube, but that you make sure to note that the heims and TREs are different thread pitch.

The bolts that hold the caliper mount to the knuckle are one time use and special.

I will order some, thanks.

Make sure when you are making your steering arms that you note not only to have a left and right hand thread weld bung on each tube, but that you make sure to note that the heims and TREs are different thread pitch.

Got to remember to double check that, thanks.

What wheels are you running? With one ton offset TREs, they may rub very badly. I run 15" aluminum wheels with 3.75" backspacing and I had to get wheel spacers or use non off set TREs to make it all fit. The amount i had to grind off without the wheel spacers was simply unsafe. Steel wheels will be less of an issue but that's my experience

make sure that is a genuine OEM pitman arm and not an aftermarket. the aftermarket ones are made out of garbage metal, I have seen and experienced several stripping at the splines and refusing to stay tight.

you also titled your thread incorrectly.

After a year of sitting on these parts and doing nothing, I finally got up the nerve to get this swap started.

normal_image.jpeg

This garbage has caused me alot of problems and is going away.

normal_image~0.jpeg

Removed the axle and cut off the passenger upper control arm mount, the sway bar mounts and most of the track bar mount.

normal_image~1.jpeg

Test fit the Artec truss

normal_image~2.jpeg

Way-too-long Rough Country track bar mount replaced with a Rubicon Express mount. The RE mount fit over my frame stiffeners without modification, which was nice.

normal_image~3.jpeg

Kalil went to work on the Artec truss.

normal_image~4.jpeg

Kalil used short welds and moved around to prevent the axle from getting too hot, per Artec's instructions.

normal_image~5.jpeg

Preheating the cast steel before welding. Got a little lazy with this, but nothing cracked so that's good.

normal_image~6.jpeg

Used a reamer on the knuckles and the steering arm until the 1-ton tie rod ends fit just right.

normal_image~7.jpeg

Reused the factory UCA mount on top of the truss.

normal_image~8.jpeg

Cut up a perfectly good TNT Customs track bar bracket to make it fit with the Artec truss.

normal_image.png

Hope it's in the right spot.

Now to paint it, install the knuckles and figure out what fasteners I'm missing for everything else.

Check your clearance from the truss to the pan at full stuff. I creased my oil pan and had to add some more bump stop even after pushing my axle foreword.

Check your clearance from the truss to the pan at full stuff. I creased my oil pan and had to add some more bump stop even after pushing my axle foreword.

Same here. Mine is one hockey puck and extended daystar bumps in the factory location. I also needed it for trac bar to diff cover clearance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

so what method / materials did you use to weld the spacers to the knuckles ?

Bolted the spacers to the knuckles, heated them in the oven to 450 degrees, then Kalil carefully took a MIG welder to them. Buried them in a bucket of sand to cool slowly.

Check your clearance from the truss to the pan at full stuff.

Thanks, I will check. I am bump stopped pretty good. Also, thanks for loaning me the reamer.

Back