• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

my 96 2 door build thread

josh9mile

NAXJA Forum User
I picked up this 96 2 door, 2wd, 5 speed for 25 bucks. (Yes 25 bucks lol). Its got 122k on the clock, runs and drives but needs a HG.

Picked up some tires, 35/12.50/15 MTR's

Got front and rear wagoneer 44s from my brother for xmas, just dont have pics ATM

5.38 gears, full install kits and front Spartan locker for the waggy 44s

TNT front truss

Lastnight i ordered a rear truss and rear upper 4 link brackets from Artec, and the 16 heims I will need for all the suspension from ruffstuff. I still need to order the front 3 link crossmember, rear 4 link crossmember and other odds and ends from Clayton. I still gotta decide what I want to do for shocks, springs, etc...... I may do Fox air shocks in the back, and standard shocks/springs in the front. Im going for the lowest COG possible on this. Also a set of Hooligan front and rear tube fenders/armor are in the works as well.

Last edited:
Just got done ordering the HD Offroad frame stiffeners as well.
So my plan was to get the JCR DIY front bumper and all the tie-in brackets, but seeing how the frame stiffeners go ALL the way to the fron of the jeep will they be necessary? Will it make the mounting width too wide for the bumper mounts? Should I cut the very front portion of the stiffeners off so I cant bolt the JCR brackets on?

Ive also got to source a 4wd AX15 tranny which is proving harder than I first thought. Anyone want to trade a low mileage 2wd AX15 for a 4wd counterpart? LOL

Last edited:
Stiffeners from HD Offroad showed up today

they came tack welded together in 12 spots for shipping purposes, I think metal banding would have worked better and easier for the consumer to get them apart......but oh well it is what it is.

Still need to order the clayton crossmembers, jcr diy front and rear bumpers, air shocks, front coils, and hooligan f/r tube fenders. Im sure there will be lots of other things that will nickel and dime me to death. Whenever I get off of the 6 day work weeks I will actually start building this thing. Hopefully soon!

Grinding a few tacks is nothing after all the grinding you will be doing fitting/ cleaning/ welding/ etc.... by far one of the least favorite projects I have done!

Word for word x100

Brown Santa (well in this case the white, blue and orange Santa) dropped off my wheels today. I bought the Cragars as opposed to the jeggs knockoffs because the holes looked bigger in all the pics, which I liked. Well they are small holes. Bummer. I cant wait to actually start building this thing instead of just collecting parts. But I guess thats half the fun right?

20140924_114720_zps03d67da8.jpg
Went to a friends house today and mounted the tires on the wheels. Progress is going slow on this build so far.

So I pulled the head off so I could get it rebuilt but the cylinders were were wasted with rust, scratches and pits so I scrapped that idea and picked up a 92 cherokee briarwood for the engine and other odds and ends. It is in immaculate shape except that it got ass-ended really hard. 140k, runs like a top and is actually still drivable. Im going to rob the transfer case, radiator, guage cluster, and front clip off of it as well. I have never heard of a Briarwood package before, it seems to be just like my brothers Limited except its got a 231 and woodgrain down the sides. Is that all?

I have never heard of a Briarwood package before, it seems to be just like my brothers Limited except its got a 231 and woodgrain down the sides. Is that all?

The Briarwood was a somewhat rare trim package for the 1991 and 1992 model years. It basically replaced the XJ Wagoneer. Here is a typical build sheet for a '92 Briarwood.

[*AL Leather Trimmed Bucket Seats
ADAS Light Group
ADHS Heavy Duty Electrical Group
APAS Monotone Paint
ARCS Rubicon Group
AWHS Power Equipment Group
BARS 90 Amp Alternator
BCDP 500 Amp Maintenance Free Battery
BGK 4-Wheel Anti-Lock Brakes
CACP Low Back Bucket Seats
CDBP Reclining Front Seats
CFMS Rear Folding Seat
CKBS Floor Carpet
CKNS Cargo Compartment Carpet
CKTS Cargo Tie Down Loops
CKVS MOPAR Third Row Cargo Bins w/Table
CLCS Front Floor Mats
CSAS Spare Tire Cover
CSCP Cargo Compartment Cover
CUFS Full Length Floor Console
DGB All 4-Speed Automatic Transmissions
DGSS 4-Speed Automatic AW4 Transmission
DHAS Lock-Up Torque Converter
DHPP Selec-Trac Full Time 4WD System
DHSS Floor Mount Automatic Shift Lever
DJHS 230MM Front Axle
DMDS 3.55 Rear Axle Ratio
DRMP Dana 35C/194MM Rear Axle
ERH 4.0L I6 Power Tech Engine
GBBS Tinted Windshield Glass
GCBS Front Door Tinted Glass
GEC Front Left Side Sliding Window
GEDS Tinted Rr Drs/Qtr/Liftgate Glass
GFAS Rear Window Defroster
GNCS Sun Visors w/Illum Vanity Mirrors
GRJP Left Power Chrome Mirror
GSJP Right Power Chrome Mirror
GTJS Power Mirrors
GVBC All Vehicles W/Power Mirrors
GWB Removable Sunroof Glass
GXMP Remote Keyless Entry
HAAS Air Conditioning
HGDS Deluxe Insulation Group
JAYS Instrument Cluster w/Tach
JCAS 85 MPH Primary Speedometer
JHAS Var Intermittent Windshield Wipers
JHBS Rear Window Wiper/Washer
JJAS Cigar Lighter
JPAP Power Windows
JPBP Power Locks
JPTS Power Front Driver/Passenger Seats
LACS Illuminated Entry
LAJP Headlamps On Warning Chimes
LBBP Courtesy Lamps
LBCS Glove Box Lamp
LBDP Ash Tray Lamp
LBEP Cigar Lighter
LDAP Underhood Lamp
LDBP Cargo Compartment Lamp
LHDP Headlamp Off Time Delay
LMAS Halogen Headlamps
LNJS Fog Lamps
LSAP Security Alarm
MB2S Bright/Black Front Bumper
MB6S Bright/Black Rear Bumper
MCAS Front Bumper Guards
MDAP Front License Plate Bracket
MFMS Black/Bright Grille
MHBS Bright Windshield Moldings
MMCS Rear Qtr Solid Window Insert
MMGS Belt Moldings
MPAS MOPAR Chrome Front Applique
MWAS Roof Rack
NAE California Emissions
NBKS EVAP Control System
NFAS 20 Gallon Fuel Tank
NHMS Speed Control
PW7 Bright White Clear Coat
QW7S Bright White Clear Coat
RAAC All Radio Equipped Vehicles
RAFS AM/FM Cassette Radio
RCGP 6 Speakers
RDCP Power Antenna
SBAS Power Rack and Pinion Steering
SCGS Leather Wrapped Steering Wheel
SFAS Standard Duty Shock Absorbers
SGAS Rear Shock Absorbers
SUAS Tilt Steering Column
TBB Full Size Spare Tire
TBLS Inside Mounted Spare Tire
TMDS P215/75R15 BSW All Season Tires
TZHP Michelin Brand Tires
WJGS 15" Aluminum Wheels
WLZC All Aluminum Wheels
YAAS Build To U.S. Mkt. Specifications

Just got done ordering the HD Offroad frame stiffeners as well.
So my plan was to get the JCR DIY front bumper and all the tie-in brackets, but seeing how the frame stiffeners go ALL the way to the fron of the jeep will they be necessary? Will it make the mounting width too wide for the bumper mounts? Should I cut the very front portion of the stiffeners off so I cant bolt the JCR brackets on?

Ive also got to source a 4wd AX15 tranny which is proving harder than I first thought. Anyone want to trade a low mileage 2wd AX15 for a 4wd counterpart? LOL

Good luck man I looked for one for a long while a few years back

TJ trannies are more common

So I started dismantling the donor cherokee, is there anything I should pull for spares? I got tne guage cluster and all the accessory switches out, but was wondering about the heater controls? Do they go bad at all? I just want to make sure I get what I need/want off of this thing before I put it on CL or take it to scrap.

Back