• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stinky FAB VS. Rusty's Steering/WJ Conversion

You don't "have " to do the steering, I've been running mine now for several months with factory steering and Zero issues, and don't intend to change it!

P1080478_zpsubtwxyv0.jpg

How about a pic of yours installed?

Not very good pics, but you'll get the idea! I should add that I lifted if with 7 miles on the clock, it's been that way for 17yrs now!
P1080486_zpsk2ekes1v.jpg

P1080487_zpsbxehff0v.jpg

P1080488_zpssutqoruj.jpg

Last edited:
I don't know why you would go through the expense of a WJ conversion and not get the crossover steering.

The steering is a way better upgrade than the brakes.

I don't know why you would go through the expense of a WJ conversion and not get the crossover steering.

The steering is a way better upgrade than the brakes.

Because I tow a heavy trailer in the "Rockies"! I had the best brakes you could buy, but they were not enough. Never had a complaint with my steering so why change it?
Also, since I have a auto with a 60:1 ratio crawl, I could "drive" thru my brakes!

Last edited:
How about a pic of yours installed?

What did all these parts cost you? they appear to be all new parts correct? I'd like to do the conversion in steps. It would be easier to break up a 1200-1800$ upgrade in 2 steps. And right now i need new brakes so that's why I'm curious. Also I'm not completely sure how and what all i need for the steering conversion unless i buy the whole Stinky Fab kit.

The Stinky Fab kit looks like a well engineered very high quality kit.
I did my conversion by gathering the parts from wherever I could, It took me a while to get everything I needed & I did save a few $ over the kit price, but not enough to justify the time & effort saved by just buying the well made Stinky Fab Kit.
If I had to do it again I would just buy the SFK.

Though I don't have any experience with the question directly I will add this. I recently installed the StinkyFab engine mount re-enforcements on my son's XJ. I have NEVER had any bolt on anything fit as well as they did. The attention to detail is about the best I've ever run across.

is that a stock tie rod?

Yeah, it's my 16yr old factory tie rod!
What did all these parts cost you? they appear to be all new parts correct? I'd like to do the conversion in steps. It would be easier to break up a 1200-1800$ upgrade in 2 steps. And right now i need new brakes so that's why I'm curious. Also I'm not completely sure how and what all i need for the steering conversion unless i buy the whole Stinky Fab kit.

I did the WJ brake upgrade for about $400! I did do a lot of other things while I was there!
P1080478_zpsubtwxyv0.jpg

P1080477_zpsufz4i2ya.jpg

P1080476_zpsqxsz0amm.jpg

Last edited:
sure you do the wj knuckles & brakes w/ using the stock steering linkage, i did that for 3 months then did the otk steering.

How did it drive with stock steering and wj knuckles and brakes? Did the steering pretty much bolt on to the wj knuckles? What components did you use for the OTK steering? I just scored some rear disc brakes from a zj so I'm gonna swap those on but i hear they dont improve braking much at all.

Back